View Single Post
Old 02-10-2001, 09:48 AM

The situation that Alon described is probably very common among all makes of vehicles. Dealerships love "swapping boxes" under warranty because they can charge it to the manufacture. Unfortunately nobody is being taught, or taking the time to learn, how to repair something, just remove and replace. I am an Avionics Technician in the Air Force. The first aircraft I worked on was the B-52 Bomber. That is so old, the last one was made in 1961. So the wiring on this aircraft was old and brittle, so electrical problems were common. You learned real quick how to properly troubleshoot and repair things. Now I work on a newer aircraft, a KC-10. This is a military version of a DC-10. On this aircraft there is little in way of wiring problems, just faulty computers, "boxes", or indicators. Anyone coming into the Air Force and working first on a KC-10 or even newer, C-17 will only learn how to swap "boxes".
I think this relates to the car repair industry today. Everything is made to be removed and replaced. It saves time and money for them, but nobody learns how to actually repair anything. It will probably get to the point where you won't even need a screw driver or wrench to work on a car. Everything will be taken out by quick release latches. Everything now, to me at least, is just black box engineering.
MBCA member