View Single Post
Old 02-10-2001, 07:32 PM

Being an independant tech is all I've ever done for a living....been paid flate rate nearly my whole career.

Now, I could tell you all of my thoughts on this subject, but this would end up being a huge post..........So-I'll try to keep it brief.

Next time you think that your tech makes too much, ask him where he lives & go see his home.

I hear the crying & moaning about how much repairs cost from people every day.
What I still don't get is WHY,,,,WHY do they b!@# at me about it?
Did I make them buy the car? NO!

Do I use their car every day? NO!

Am I the one who is neglecting to do the proper maintenance? NO

Did I engineer or build the car? NO

Did I break the car? NO

Did I make up the prices of the parts from thin air? NO

NO, all I do is fix the g**d@#n things.
That's it, you bring it to me broken, and I can fix it.

Now, back to looking at your tech's home.....
Would you trade your house for your tech's? I didn't think so!

Funny how I have folks that make more in a week than I EARN in a month,yet they behave like I'm trying to swindle them out of their last dime!

If I could do something else and still support my family,(yeah we have families to support too!), I wouldn't walk away from this business,,,,,,,,,,, I'D RUN!!!
I'd run away, lauging hysterically!

The problem with the industry is that most good techs share my feelings!
Being under paid isn't even at the top of the complaint list. It is actually down after feeling unapreciated, and not respected for their skill & knowledge levels.

I'm not saying it is all bad.I still have the occaisonal "really nice" customer, who'll bring cookies or send a thank you note, for the services we provide. I even have a few that are very trusting & pleasant to do business with. The problem is that there are sooo few of them.

Repairing the cars is the easy part. Trying to find reasons to do it for folks who treat you like crap,,,,that's what makes it hard.
Especially when I have to write about 20gs worth of checks every month, just to be able to unlock my doors in the morning and turn on my "open" sign.