View Single Post
Old 05-30-2004, 10:29 PM
K5ING

Good deal on a 300CD?

I'm looking at 1980 MB 300CD right now. I've had my current '01 VW Golf TDI for over 232K miles (no typo), so I'm familiar with diesels, but know nothing about Mercedes cars.

The Good:
Body good. No dents. No rust (Texas car). Glass good. Interior (tan leather) excellent. No rips or uneven wear found. Dash not cracked. Second owner. First owner a doctor in central Texas, sold it two years ago to a guy wanting to restore it, but he lost interest in it. Some records from the original owner (but haven't seen them yet). Owner says it starts right up, runs and drives good. Front end still nice and tight.

The Bad:
Needs brakes. Fuel leak in the line running to one of the injectors. Owner says you can see the fuel sitting there. A/C doesn't blow cold air, but it still blows. Odometer doesn't work, but that is a recent problem. Transmission shifts hard into second, and won't shift into fourth. Vacuum and/or modulator problem? Missing the star from the grill. No doubt hanging around the neck of some gang-banger in Dallas right now.

General:
The car is showing 198K miles, and it looks good even for that. He's asking $2250, but I'm sure I can get it for $2000 even. I've talked to the owner, but haven't heard it myself yet. Going to test drive it early next week, but wanted some opinions from those in the know first. My budget is limited, as is my ability to tear into cars (maintaince is no problem though). Wattayathink? TIA.

Jeff in Texas