View Single Post
Old 06-01-2004, 11:14 PM

When I change the oil in my SDL, I only put in 8 quarts, thus my dipstick reads about 7/8ths. The oil level remains constant with a very slow lowering as I approach the next 3000 mi change. (use approx. 3/4 quart in 3000 mi.) The SLIGHTEST incline will affect the oil level reading. I use this to my advantage when I change the oil, because I point the car (very slightly) down hill on my driveway, thus I can suck most, if not all the oil out. There are 2 ways that I can tell that I get the oil out. 1. The amount that I put in (8 qts) is always below the full line (7/8ths approx.). 2. The oil is so clean that it is hard to read for the first 100-200 miles. If I change the oil in the garage, where the floor looks level, but actually has a very slight up hill incline, I can't get quite all the oil out (8 qts fill it) AND the oil looks dark after a 5 min. run. I use Rotella T since it is known to be a good cleaning dino oil. ( I prefer to change dino oil more often to get the "soot" out, rather than use syn. oil and extend the oil change period. And, I don't have really cold temps to worry about, since the garage is heated.)

Last edited by PaulH; 06-01-2004 at 11:22 PM.