View Single Post
Old 06-11-2004, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by engatwork
oh man - if you only knew how we feel about oil threads.

welcome aboard

Oh I know... as I was doing my research by checking out search results, I saw several threads in which the first reply was something like "not another oil thread"! Couldn't resist joining the party though.

Quote:
Originally posted by Hatterasguy
While we are on the Amsoil topic, I think I'm going to switch to it on my next change, it is more availible in my area. Delvac one is impossible to find. What type of Amsoil do you use in your MB? I would like to use a 15w-40 or 50 in the summer and a 5w-40 or 50 in the winter. Do they have these weights?
Like AndyRM said, Amsoil is available on the web with direct shipping right to your door. I'd like to use either the 10W-40 multigrade oil or the 15W-40 Heavy Duty Oil for Diesel engines. They don't have 5W-40 or 50 though. Just check out this page to see all the Amsoil synthetic motor oils you can get.

Thank you all for your responses. I have been really confused about this. I have a friend with a 1981 Toyota 2.2L Diesel pickup truck and he has been running Amsoil for 19K miles. I was wondering why an old Toyota can run it bumper to bumper with no issues, yet a so-called "super engineered" benz can't. And yet the mechanic that got me all confused has been working on Benzes and Bimmers (the latter mostly though) for 16 years!

So the general solution is as follows: use a good engine flush to clean out any crud in the engine first, then apply synthetic oil.