View Single Post
Old 08-26-2004, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatterasguy
Yes but your Toyota's at the end of it's life! Not to mention the W123 is a safe fun car to drive I loved working on my Camry I only cut myself and swore off wrenching 2-3 times a job.
How do you know that? Toyota and Honda have always had the lead on durability and long term reliability, over everyone, and that includes MB. It's simply the way the engineers think: Toyota engineers think of getting something done the simplest, most straight forward way (being a mass market, cheap brand to begin with). MB engineers always go over the top in an attempt to set world standards (which they do). However, the consequences of going over the top are people who spend day and night seeking technical advice on their old cars like here. Not to mention people who pay $150,000 for a brand new S600 and have the car spent 47 of its first 90 days in the dealership for repairs! (you will never hear of such from Toyota, Lexus, Acura, Honda or Infiniti).

I'll use something as simple as the oil filter as an example. Why is it that a 3.0L I-5 diesel engine from MB has such a huge oil filter and one for an engine of the exact same size Toyota doesn't have such a huge one? Both engines run just as efficiently, but the MB one is over engineered.

I still love MBs for the luxury, power, safety and prestige. But there's no need to talk down Toyotas! Also another reason why such a board as detailed as this one may not exist for Toyotas is because while your average 20 year old MB has A/C, power door locks and windows, power steering, fuel injection in the gasoline engines, etc, your average 20 year old Toyota has nothing but a buzzing 4 cylinder engine, a caburated engine and manual everything. Less stuff to break over the long run.