View Single Post
Old 09-10-2004, 07:08 PM

Mercedes engine prep for install

I have a 1976 Mercedes Benz 300D, 115 body (diesel 5 cylinder inline). When I had the funds I purchased a used engine from Texas to replace the existing unit. This replacement has been in my shop with the oil drained from the pan for about 1 yr. I want to finish the install of the engine. I am wondering about putting oil back into the engine and how to ensure that the oil will be somewhat distributed throughout the oil passages and bearing surfaces of the engine. Would it be advisable to manually turn over the engine (with the oil installed) by the crank bolt -or- starter to distribute the oil, prior to putting the engine back into the car. I think that with the injectors removed the cranking should not be a major problem with the starter, if the cranking were limited to a one or two second duration. The injectors are new and the inj. pump was removed during the prep/detail work on the engine. -OR- am I just being a little overcritical of this aspect of reinstallation, ie... just put new oil and filter in as a standard oil change and continue? I do understand about the oil cooler needing to be hooked-up outside of the engine compartment for the complete oil path. Thanks inadvance for your replies.