View Single Post
Old 10-10-2004, 09:42 PM

Tight Window

Norm

Funny you should post this email as I have a similar problem.

Mine is on the LH window on my CE. This is the passenger side on my car. The door on the coupe is frameless. I don't know if this is the same on the 4 door?

The drivers RH side works fine. Easy up and down.

The LH side is very tight through part of the movement as you describe and is accompanied by a squeaking sound.

I have done the following:

1. Removed door panel and fully inspected the working parts. All seem fine and I lubricated all parts and checked for interference. No obvious problem seems to exist.

2. By removing the lower external door trim the slider adjusters are exposed. I adjusted these to try and relieve pressure off the seals i.e by moving the bottom of the frame inwards the top of the glass is forced outwards.

Whilst I might of improved it marginally the problem still remains. I do believe it is intereference with the seals when the window comes in contact. On the coupe this is in the top half of the movement. There is quite a bit of 'shape' in both the glass and outer frame.

There is particularly a large contact point with the seal that is part of the rear glass.

I wonder if as the seals age there is additional rubber exposed causing excessive friction. The seals appear to have an almost felt like quality that would no doubt assist the sliding motion.

Perhaps the adjustment of the door is a large factor?

89 300CE
146k kms