View Single Post
Old 11-01-2004, 10:47 AM
Diesel Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinsCE
i live 30 minutes from mt baldy and you can see the air, in LA. Why should one county with about 8X the people living there than should be living there dictate the rest of the state? Obviously its overcrowded and there is always going to be a bunch of pollution in a metropolis. What, Chicago or indianapolis doesnt have smog? CARB isnt the solution. LA dropping into the pacific IS. I think if Mercedes would market and push the performance diesels here, and not jack the prices way too high like everything else they sell these days, there would be no problem selling them. I dont know anyone who would turn down a 300 hp, 400 lb ft of torque car that gets 30 MPG. And the Gov. needs to get off his high horse, stop thinking about becoming president and actually DO something, anything, so far in office he has not done a single thing, about anything. More of the same, useless politicians and idiots in office. Hybrids are way too expensive after you buy them and will never catch on.Useless anyway, with the AC on, driving on the freeway at 60, you get like 10 MPG. Usually theres like 1 tech. that can work on one in any given shop, if that many. Had the pleasure of riding in one for school, nice little MPG digital deal right there on the dash. With the AC on in the parking lot, got only 15 MPG
Sorry Austin, but your statements regarding hybrids is ludicris at best. Hybrids are catching on, they are the next step in autombile evolution, and putzing around in a parking lot with the A/C running, is hardly a valid evaluation of the vehicle.

I have over 32k miles on mine, with a lifetime average so far of 51 mpg. Drivers of 04 and 05 Prius even have their A/C systems driven by electricity, instead of the engine, allowing it to shut off, and remain off at lights, further improving fuel efficiency, as well as removing that load from the engine altogether. These vehicles are rated at 60 city, 51 highway, and 55 combined, and drivers are now beating these EPA numbers as their cars get broken in.

Even MB is getting into the hybrid bandwagon. They have a diesel hybrid slated for production by 2008 - IMO the best of both worlds. Too bad it'll be on an $80k plus car.