View Single Post
Old 11-29-2004, 12:30 AM

Here's my payback! Diesel Primer Pump Replacement

I've gotten loads of free advice from this and other forums. Now it is my turn to share some guidance. This past May I replaced my original leaking fuel primer pump. It is a simple. painless operation that took about 30 minutes - 15 of which was spend taking the attached pictures.

Note: I will only be able to attach 5 photos per entry.

Photos A & B - the location of the existing fuel primer pump (next to the injector pump).

Photo C - the updated replacement part - I paid about $30.00 from a dealer simply because I was on travel and did not want to wait to find it cheaper.

Photo D - use a hose clamp (I used vise grips) to close off the fuel line after the first stage filter (the clear one).

Photo E - using a screwdriver, loosen and remove the fuel hose.

Photo F - using either a 17mm or 19mm socket with an extension, remove the fuel line fitting.

Photo G - setting the fuel line fitting aside (on top of air filter)

Photo H - now you have room to access the old primer pump

Photo I - remove old fuel primer pump with a 24mm open end wrench (note pinched off fuel line at bottom of photo.

Photo J - the new and the old parts compared. The new part came with an adapter that was not required in my application.

Photos K & L - clean up and ensure you have removed the old copper washer.

Photo M - install new fuel primer pump with a 17mm or 19mm open end wrench.

Photo O - replace the fuel line fitting, tighten, and enjoy the completed project!

Next I'll work on posting my project of adding rear headrests. I did this in under an hour with used brackets and leather headrests I got from mercedesdismantlers.com out in L.A. for under $100 - shipped! If done properly it will be no different than if it was factory installed.

Stand by . . .
Attached Thumbnails
Here's my payback!  Diesel Primer Pump Replacement-photo-.jpg   Here's my payback!  Diesel Primer Pump Replacement-photo-b.jpg   Here's my payback!  Diesel Primer Pump Replacement-photo-c.jpg   Here's my payback!  Diesel Primer Pump Replacement-photo-d.jpg   Here's my payback!  Diesel Primer Pump Replacement-photo-e.jpg  

Peach Parts W124.128 User Group.

80 280SL
85 300SD
87 300TD
92 300D 2.5 Turbo
92 300TE 4Matic

Last edited by pwogaman; 11-29-2004 at 01:25 AM.