View Single Post
Old 01-13-2005, 06:46 AM
Stella!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauri H.
There are many manual transmissions that bolt on OM603, actually almost any of MB manuals from W124 will fit. The Big Getrag is th most durable, and with special clutch, it will last quite much torgue. Still 722.3 automatic with proper reinforcements is still stronger.

Try to fingd the Getrag from 190 2.3 16V or 190 2.5 16V models, or W124 300E 24V manual for excample (717.450 / 717.451, both of them found also in 320 E)

300 Turbodiesel has never been made with manual, but 2.5 turbodiesel has (717.437), also non-turbo 300 D has manual, at least in europe (717.433 ,also on 24v version, 717.430 in earlier 12 valve engines).

Still, my oppinion is that automatic suits much better for these cars. Mercedes manual are not known to be very comfortable, as the rear staking of the car is flexible, and makes it really hard to take off without annoying jerking. No performance gain is achieved with manual, only little better mpg:s.
Hi Mauri!
While the manual has a place on the 240 (OM616) I agree that an automatic is probably the better choice for these cars using the OM617. The combination of ungoverned IP and truck-like shifting mechanisim of the cast-iron gearbox on my wagon makes for a car that is practically impossible to downshift smoothly. And, I haven't realized any gain in MPG. Nevertheless, it is lots of fun to drive and is unique; at least here in the USA it is.

I'm thinking that the fully governed IP on the 603 may be more pleasant to drive with the manual transmission than a 617/manual combination.

Also, I am unfamiliar with your use of the phrase 'rear staking.' I'm sure that this justa amatter of translation; could you describe this further?

Take care!