View Single Post
Old 02-01-2005, 03:49 PM

I do oil changes in Hans every 8 weeks (5k miles) and I'm pretty good at it. I can do the change in 10 minutes if I'm slow. I now use latex gloves after that incident with the drain pan that wasn't where it should have been...

I saw in the pack of reciepts I got with Hans that the PO replaced the oil filter housing because the screws were stripped from some monkey overtightening them. Be careful - that was a $900 repair

I had a VW Golf Diesel a few years ago. The first time I changed the oil filter, I thought it was odd that the filter screwed into a threaded pipe that in turn threaded into the engine - the piece came off in my hand when I removed the filter. When I went to tighten the new filter, I kept turning and turning until it felt tight (a lot of turns, it seemed). Little did I know that I was only threading the pipe into the block, not the filter onto the pipe. I started the car up and after 10 seconds the oil pressure light never went off, so I stopped the engine, hopped out and saw the filter 3 feet in front of the car and a gallon of virgin Mobil 1 on the ground. It was a long walk to the closest gas station where I bought 4 VERY expensive quarts of Mobil 1.

Former cars:
1984 300D 445k (!!) (Strider) Original (and not rebuilt) engine and transmission. Currently running on V80 ( 80% vegetable oil, 20% petroleum products). Actually not, taking a WVO break.
1993 300d 2.5 275k. Current 120/day commuter
1981 300SD 188k (Hans) Killed by a deer