View Single Post
Old 04-30-2005, 03:56 PM
"My Dog House" Yanmar

Brian,

Glade to hear that you use PS because I consider you one of the "go to guys" on this forum.You use double my ratio. However, I may be closer to that ratio then you think. One of my boating friends owns two Hess station here. Because they do not have to state the cetane on the pumps in Florida, I asked him if he could find out anything about the diesel his stations get.

He came back with, the oil is from the North Sea oil (I do not known what that should means to me) and it comes by boat to the Tampa, FL center and then trucked to his stations. It is rated as Min. 42 cetane. He does not own a diesel car put has a twin screw diesel boat, which he now fuels from his stations. I have been fueling there (less then two miles from my home) for years and have added PS as per the direction on the bottle giving me 45 cetane.

I know that MB diesels will run fine with 45 cetane or above and 40 cetane is too low. I however, do not know what the cut off point is. The reason I think this is important to us is because I think a lot of ALDA adjustments, Fuel Filters replacements and other things are done on this forum because of the way the diesel runs on 40 cetane. As well, some members may be too young or not owned a MB diesels to know how these diesels ran when new and with 50 cetane. I think a reference point is useful.

I have never had to adjust my ALDA, change my injectors or had bad MPG, starting or pickup problems (except for the month when they lowered the cetane rate about ten years ago). This is just a thought that came to me as I keep reading this great forum.

In scuba diving and skydiving as in life, if it isn't fun, your doing it wrong.

Original owner & daily driver, 1983 300SD 298,000 miles.