View Single Post
Old 07-19-2005, 10:38 PM
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by fennybergs
I know this topic has probably been beaten to death, but...

I recently bought an '82 300td and have hence inherited a few problems I am motivated to fix. The following are problems I am experiencing that I believe are all related to the vacuum system: very bad automatic shifting, key will not shut off engine, locks don't work, brake pedal needs lots of force to apply brakes. I took a look-see under the hood and noticed one black hose that is not connected to anything. From looking at my '84 300D, this cord should go somewhere behind the engine (transmission maybe?), I can't tell where it ends. More importantly, I don't have anything where the 3/2 valve should be on the IP. All that is there is what looks like 3 metal prongs. Is this why the shifting sucks and the car won't turn off with the key?? Thanks in advance...
Yes, the vacuum leak will cause all these issues. Recommend that you take a look at these vacuum diagrams:

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/showthread.php?t=105297

Note that there is one black hose that is supposed to be vented. It should run through the firewall and vent under the dash. There is also one line that goes to the transmission. An open connection anyplace in the system will cause a loss of vacuum to all these components. Troubleshooting usually requires blocking off one branch connection at a time untill the symptoms go away, then chasing down the leak. Not difficult, but tedious.

Good luck.