View Single Post
Old 06-11-2001, 12:27 PM

MBenz, I forgot you are a convertible man as well, regarding you until now only as a C-Class expert. That is one hell of a project you've got on there (or should I say two, including the 300 CE-24).

My local dealer has a R129 for sale. It belonged to an acquaintance of my father. It was very much his pride and joy. He has traded the car for a C230k SC (not sure why, but hey). Anyway, I know the car is honest, has never been banged, and has not been clocked.

It is a late 1995 SL320 in Brilliant Silver over black leather. It has the 24 valve 3.2 litre straight six. It has done 52,000 miles (80k km). The car has a few extras. It also has what I thought were the 1997 mods: rounded bumpers and side panels with two oval vents rather than three square ones. When were these updates made?

The dealer wants £25,000 for the car (approx US$37,500). It will come with a Signature warranty (like Star Mark). This covers everything including the cat for unlimited mileage for one year.

Well, is it going to cost me an arm and a leg to keep on the road or can I run it as a cheap(ish) but special second car (I would do about 7,500 miles a year)? Could it be used as a daily driver?

Is there anything I should look for in particular? I've only had a cursory look at it in the back of the dealer's lot. It hasn't been prepped yet, but is in pretty good condition, unmarked paint, hardly marked alloys. The interior has no marks or tears but does look a little old.

Needless to say, I'm desperate to buy this car and need some good common sense talking!
1993 E300 diesel T
1990 190