View Single Post
Old 06-21-2001, 07:46 AM
Robert Boyer

Help!

I have an '88 420 SEL; good touring/comfort car. Recently (about 1 month ago), I put a new set of Conti Touring Contact CH95's (205/65/HR 15 92H) on the car through my trusted local tire guy. My desire is for smooth, consistent comfort-both local driving and highway. Handling should be good; exceptional handling was not my desire.

I'm not a perfectionist, but: I am SO disappointed. The performance of this tire is so inconsistent as to be mind-boggling. First, unless the tire pressures are put too low, the road feel-especially at highway speeds-is unacceptable. Secondly, they don't seem to accomodate the weight load of this vehicle. Most unusually, they are too prone to develop soft spots from sitting for just a few hours. For example, one day they feel good; the very next day, they make the car feel like a truck.

I'm not imagining this. And this is a car with good bushings; holds alignment; new tie rods, and new Bilsteins all around. It deserves a good smooth tire.

Am I crazy, or have others experienced similar disappointments with this tire?

Is there a tried and true good riding tire, reasonably quiet, consistent, stays round, balances right, that I can confidently shoe this car with? Please advise. Thanks.