Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Diesel Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-28-2004, 11:17 PM
Mack
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Austin, Texas shop info needed.

Looking to have some work done that I cannot or may not want to do myself, and I would appreciate input from those in the know.

1.) Does anyone have input on Austin Fuel Injection and Perfomance Center on East 5th street? I have gotten some good feedback on them from Gas EFI guys, and in talking to the counter guys last week the place seemed to be a heads up shop. I am looking to have my 124/603 injecters cleaned and rebuilt if needed, as the car is starting to idle rough and smoke a bit on start up. They charge $20 per injector for labor, and IIRC approx $40 for Bosch parts per injector, if needed, the gentleman I spoke with had owned a 124/603 and indicated that normally parts were not required.

2.) Can Diesel Purge be aquired locally? I would like to try to run some through before I pull the injectors, but I would like to address this issue ASAP.

3.) I might be looking for an A/C shop to recharge my R12 system, and hunt for a possible leak. Might just be a small leak, as it ran fine for sometime after I bought it, but now the A/C is inop, the failure mode was suggestive of low refrigerant qty. The system has a sticker indicating it was charged with a leak detecting dye. (May just do this myself, as I have 7lbs of R12, and access to a manifold and vacum pump if I am lucky.)

4.) It appears the left front is out of alignment, (might just be that the P.O. ran the LF tire with low psi.) Any good alignment shops for Mercedes in the Austin area? 4a.) Most of the supsension was addressed by the P.O. but I am debating having the front A-Arm bushings replace, normally I would do this myself, but with the cost of a Mercedes Benz sping compressor, it seems it might make more sense to turn it over to a local shop. So I guess I am looking for a place have this done, or a place that might rent a quality spring compressor.

5.) A Co-worker with a E300 (124) is looking for a good Austin/Bastrop area transmission shop. (It sounds like the park pawl has grenaded or is not releasing fully.)

Sorry this is so long, but I gotta get this car back up to the fine runnign condition it was in when I bought it, or I am going back to running Japanes. (O' the horror!)

Your input is much appreciated. Mack Kamna

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-29-2004, 09:14 AM
R Leo's Avatar
Stella!
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: En te l'eau Rant
Posts: 5,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack
Looking to have some work done that I cannot or may not want to do myself, and I would appreciate input from those in the know.
Hi Mack, here's the local answers I can provide:
Quote:
1.) Does anyone have input on Austin Fuel Injection
Haven't dealt with them but have done biz with Central Texas Diesel Injection

Quote:
2.) Can Diesel Purge be aquired locally? I would like to try to run some through before I pull the injectors, but I would like to address this issue ASAP.
I quit looking and run Power Service or Stanandyne.

Quote:
3.) I might be looking for an A/C shop to recharge my R12 system, and hunt for a possible leak. Might just be a small leak, as it ran fine for sometime after I bought it, but now the A/C is inop, the failure mode was suggestive of low refrigerant qty. The system has a sticker indicating it was charged with a leak detecting dye. (May just do this myself, as I have 7lbs of R12, and access to a manifold and vacum pump if I am lucky.)
See Joe or Linda at Atlas Auto Air on North Lamar. You should call first becasue there isn't much work this time of year and Joe likes his fishing. I've known Joe for at least 30 years; he may well be the only honest a/c guy in Waterloo. Tell them Randy Leo sent you.

Quote:
4.) It appears the left front is out of alignment, (might just be that the P.O. ran the LF tire with low psi.) Any good alignment shops for Mercedes in the Austin area? 4a.) Most of the supsension was addressed by the P.O. but I am debating having the front A-Arm bushings replace, normally I would do this myself, but with the cost of a Mercedes Benz sping compressor, it seems it might make more sense to turn it over to a local shop. So I guess I am looking for a place have this done, or a place that might rent a quality spring compressor.
When you find a front end shop in Austin that knows MBZ front ends, let me know. I've had mine done by a brake shop on William Cannon and am not experiencing any pulling or bizarre tire wear but, I'm not all that convinced they truly know MBZ fronts either. FWIW, I have a spring compressor, a nice workshop and would appreciate the opportunity to get experienced in some front end work. Let's talk.

Quote:
5.) A Co-worker with a E300 (124) is looking for a good Austin/Bastrop area transmission shop. (It sounds like the park pawl has grenaded or is not releasing fully.)
Sorry, no help here.
__________________
Never a dull moment at Berry Hill Farm.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-29-2004, 02:08 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 490
Before I purchased my SDL from the Previous Owner in Kyle TX, I had the car checked out by Bens Workshop in Austin. After deciding to go ahead with the purchase, I had Ben's do some work which included fixing the ACC & A/C. I was very impressed with their knowledge and the way they kept me informed. They also went out of their way to find the most cost effective solution and were very reasonable about their time spent for each task. Their labour rate (in August) was $75/hour which is not cheap, but I always felt I got good value for the time they billed. I would highly recommend them for any M-B work.
__________________
1991 M-B 560SEL Arctic White/Grey 99,000 Miles
1987 M-B 300SDL Ivory/Palomino 229,000 Miles (sold but never forgotten)
2006 Volvo XC70 Blue/Beige
1999 Porsche Boxster Arena Red/Savanna Beige
1972 Porsche 911 Viper Green/Black
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-30-2004, 12:39 PM
Mack
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Thanks guys, some good food for thought.

Randy, I will be talking to you pretty soon. I am still recovering from the broken leg, but the Docter hooked me up with an electronic bone stimulator, and I am finally healing like I should have been all along. Having been injured since May, things are really backing up, everyone of the cars/bikes has something that needs to be addressed. With over 750,000 miles combined on the three cars, I guess that should be expected.

I still have the 1984 190D (201/601) and 1987 300Dt (124/603 turbo), I am in the process of trying to figure out what I want to do vehicle wise. I would like to combine the fuel economy of the 190D, the features of the E300D with the hauling/towing ability of my truck. I am thinking a E300D 5 cylinder (124/602 turbo) with a reciever hitch and a quality trailer might just do the trick. I am also considering a VW TDI Golf, if the combined sale of the cars I have now would get me into a decent used one, and if it could tow what I need to pull. Lots of thinking to do, and numbers to cruch.

Time to get busy. Thanks, Again Mack

PS. My long suffering erratic laptop has finally kicked the bucket, so I may be slow to reply to the forum and emails.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-30-2004, 01:00 PM
R Leo's Avatar
Stella!
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: En te l'eau Rant
Posts: 5,393
Mack,
Let's visit about that 190D. It's a manual, isn't it?
__________________
Never a dull moment at Berry Hill Farm.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-05-2004, 04:25 AM
Mack
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Randy, I am moving really slowly on things at present, but as soon as I re-insure the 190D and put it back on the road, I will give you a call to arrange a drive. (I dropped the insurance on my PU, and the 190D when I injured the leg, as both are manual trans.)

Still no idea what vehicle(s) I will end up keeping/selling, though I am still leaning toward a 5cyl (602) powered 300D or 190D replacement, as I feel either would give me the best combination of mileage and towing capability.

Austin Fuel Injection also recomended the Stanadyne additive.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-05-2004, 09:24 AM
R Leo's Avatar
Stella!
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: En te l'eau Rant
Posts: 5,393
No prob.

__________________
Never a dull moment at Berry Hill Farm.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page