Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Diesel Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-24-2015, 11:47 AM
ROLLGUY's Avatar
ROLLGUY
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6,984
The best degreaser on the planet!

I took an engine and trans to the coin-op car wash the other day with spray bottle of degreaser in hand, and the results are awesome! I have posted before about this stuff, and I have not found any better degreaser. This stuff eats Purple Power and Simple Green for lunch! I sprayed the greasy spots down real good before the drive to the car wash, and then again before the power wash. I used a stiff brush as well on the heavy caked on grease. After about 8 minutes of power washing, it turned out great! I wish I got some before photos, but you can imagine what a 200K mile 300D engine looks like. It was all black and caked with oil and grease. The degreaser is called Pro-Force and is available at Sam's Club. I am not sure where else it is available.....Rich

Attached Thumbnails
The best degreaser on the planet!-dscf0005.jpg   The best degreaser on the planet!-dscf0006.jpg   The best degreaser on the planet!-dscf0007.jpg   The best degreaser on the planet!-dscf0008.jpg   The best degreaser on the planet!-100_0400.jpg  

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-24-2015, 12:08 PM
mannys9130's Avatar
Ignorance is a disease
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 1,251
Nice. I'll have to pick some up.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-24-2015, 12:11 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: central Texas
Posts: 17,281
The cheapest really good degreaser I have found is the gallon of ' GUNK' brand Concentrate... mixed with four gallons of Kerosene ... which are the instructions on the can....
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-24-2015, 12:46 PM
tyl604's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,563
Gunk; that's really old school. Years back that is all that seemed to be available. In fact it was just about a generic name for degreaser. Glad to know that it is still a good product and available.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-24-2015, 01:10 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: central Texas
Posts: 17,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyl604 View Post
Gunk; that's really old school. Years back that is all that seemed to be available. In fact it was just about a generic name for degreaser. Glad to know that it is still a good product and available.
Ooops.... have I blown my cover as being ' new school' ?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-24-2015, 01:29 PM
Graham's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLGUY View Post
I took an engine and trans to the coin-op car wash the other day with spray bottle of degreaser in hand, and the results are awesome! I have posted before about this stuff, and I have not found any better degreaser.
Sounds good! But seems like a lot of extra work when you have to remove the engine first.
__________________
Graham
85 300D,72 350SL, 98 E320, Outback 2.5
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-24-2015, 02:29 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 2,830
Looks great. Any issues leaving gunk at the car wash or does their equipment handle it? On an engine stand, I used diesel and plastic brush, w/ air to blow out the crevices, but couldn't clean out all the webs in the upper valve cover rear. Your method looks faster. I also found that the engine degreasers work better than gasoline/diesel (but costs more).

Do you plan to paint or protect the newly washed parts? In some places, aluminum will quickly corrode to an ugly white, though not in your desert. When I can't paint, I use Rustoleum protector. It is a clear coating, like cosmoline or wax. The spray can shows a shovel. They say 6 months protection outdoors, but might last much longer in an engine bay.
__________________
1984 & 1985 CA 300D's
1964 & 65 Mopar's - Valiant, Dart, Newport
1996 & 2002 Chrysler minivans
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-24-2015, 02:34 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: central Texas
Posts: 17,281
Everybody !!!!!!!
Wear goggles when using power washing anything...and when blowing out with air.... don't ask how I know this.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-24-2015, 03:20 PM
mannys9130's Avatar
Ignorance is a disease
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 1,251
All of my local carwashes have signs prohibiting engine washing and use of degreasers that wash into their drains. I just do it in my driveway.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-24-2015, 04:59 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 7,515
I've been using NAPA Mac brand spray can cleaner that contains no kero or solvent. I happened across this and didn't think it would work but it does. . and leaves no oily residue that the kero based cleaners do.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-24-2015, 05:18 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 3,895
How did you drive that drivetrain down to the car wash. I'm asking because at the rate my car is rusting, that's what I'll be driving too.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-24-2015, 05:47 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 563
Another excellent grease cutting cleaning product is found at most of the cheapo Dollar General, Family Dollar, Dollar Tree type stores, it's sold as LA's Totally Awesome -all purpose concentrated cleaner.

1$ a quart, spray it directly on the grease on the oil pan or the differential, scrub it around and keeping adding a spritz or to keep the grease from balling up. once you've got the grease/oil in solution so to speak rinse it away with running water. The stuff id alkaline so when using it on aluminum and white metals I spray it all down with something like WD499 after cleaning to provide a thin oily barrier to prevent the w2hite flaky corrosion.

For cleaning stuff like interior vinyl, headliners and carpeting it is fantastic. I often strip the interior and pull the carpeting out, get a hose a scrub brush and a bottle or two of Awesome and it will clean every bit if grease and grime out of the pile.

IT'S AWESOME!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-24-2015, 06:41 PM
Fueled by coffee
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Worcester, MA
Posts: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteredBenz View Post
Another excellent grease cutting cleaning product is found at most of the cheapo Dollar General, Family Dollar, Dollar Tree type stores, it's sold as LA's Totally Awesome -all purpose concentrated cleaner.

1$ a quart, spray it directly on the grease on the oil pan or the differential, scrub it around and keeping adding a spritz or to keep the grease from balling up. once you've got the grease/oil in solution so to speak rinse it away with running water. The stuff id alkaline so when using it on aluminum and white metals I spray it all down with something like WD499 after cleaning to provide a thin oily barrier to prevent the w2hite flaky corrosion.

For cleaning stuff like interior vinyl, headliners and carpeting it is fantastic. I often strip the interior and pull the carpeting out, get a hose a scrub brush and a bottle or two of Awesome and it will clean every bit if grease and grime out of the pile.

IT'S AWESOME!!!!!!!
X 2 on LA's Totally Awesome Degreaser!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-24-2015, 06:50 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 7,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteredBenz View Post
it's sold as LA's Totally Awesome -all purpose concentrated cleaner.. . . . IT'S AWESOME!!!!!!!

Does it also come with a ShamWow , Oxiclean and Oxycodone? ( or was that a coke product. . .? )
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-24-2015, 07:27 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 SL320 View Post
Does it also come with a ShamWow , Oxiclean and Oxycodone? ( or was that a coke product. . .? )
HA! HA! In fact they do offer formulations with "Oxi Power"!

They also offer a large jar of granulated concentrate, but for some reason the plain stuff which is a yellow clear liquid seems to work best when I've used it.

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page