Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Discussions > Off-Topic Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 11-18-2015, 12:01 PM
fahrvergnugen's Avatar
Yeah, THAT guy...
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Olathe, CO
Posts: 692
From what I understand; the Only changes that will need to be made will be programming, and that this Won't affect Power at all. They ran these things rich in an effort to help the engine self-clean the intake and EGR system; they did this so that they could cut-down on expenses during warranty. SO, even thought VW saved money by doing this, they will now have to spend More than that amount of money saved to grease-palms...

<--Disappointed VW dude

__________________
---------------------------------------------------------------

1998 VW Cabrio
2001 Audi SomeRoad A/T (no air suspension)
2003 Audi DeadRoad M/T (no vroom, for later)
2002 Audi NoRoad A/T (nothing under the hood, being rebuilt)
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-18-2015, 12:25 PM
Mölyapina's Avatar
User title not in use
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Chelmsford, Massachusetts
Posts: 4,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by fahrvergnugen View Post
From what I understand; the Only changes that will need to be made will be programming, and that this Won't affect Power at all. They ran these things rich in an effort to help the engine self-clean the intake and EGR system; they did this so that they could cut-down on expenses during warranty. SO, even thought VW saved money by doing this, they will now have to spend More than that amount of money saved to grease-palms...

<--Disappointed VW dude
Out of curiosity, where did you see that? My understanding was that they did it to avoid installing an AdBlue system.
__________________
"Senior Luna, your sense of humor is still loco... but we love it, anyway." -rickymay ____ "Your sense of humor is still loco... " -MBeige ____ "Señor Luna, your sense of humor is quite järjetön" -Delibes

1982 300SD -- 211k, Texas car, tranny issues ____ 1979 240D 4-speed 234k -- turbo and tuned IP, third world taxi hot rod

2 Samuel 12:13: "David said to Nathan, “I have sinned against the Lord.” And Nathan said to David, “The Lord also has put away your sin; you shall not die."
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-18-2015, 12:45 PM
fahrvergnugen's Avatar
Yeah, THAT guy...
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Olathe, CO
Posts: 692
That was from a good friend who has been a VW mechanic for 40+ years; now that VW's hand is caught in the cookie jar, I doubt they would be completely honest to explain their reasoning... I worked in the parts department of a VW dealership for 5 years; intake and EGR coking was a frequent problem for those who thought 3.5K rpm was redline. And it was fairly labor intensive, instead of just being able to install new parts and go.
__________________
---------------------------------------------------------------

1998 VW Cabrio
2001 Audi SomeRoad A/T (no air suspension)
2003 Audi DeadRoad M/T (no vroom, for later)
2002 Audi NoRoad A/T (nothing under the hood, being rebuilt)
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-18-2015, 01:02 PM
iwrock's Avatar
roflmonster
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hella NorCal
Posts: 3,313
A friend has a Q7 TDI he bought within the last year, and is more upset that he's more than likely going to take a pretty significant value hit when he goes to trade it in. Other than that - he doesn't care about what's going on.
__________________
-Justin

91 560 SEC AMG - other dogs dd
01 Honda S2000 - dogs dd
07 MB ML320 CDI - dd
16 Lexus IS250 - wifes dd

it's automatic.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-18-2015, 01:31 PM
MTI's Avatar
MTI MTI is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Posts: 10,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by fahrvergnugen View Post
That was from a good friend who has been a VW mechanic for 40+ years; now that VW's hand is caught in the cookie jar, I doubt they would be completely honest to explain their reasoning... I worked in the parts department of a VW dealership for 5 years; intake and EGR coking was a frequent problem for those who thought 3.5K rpm was redline. And it was fairly labor intensive, instead of just being able to install new parts and go.

Well then the software patch should be out of beta by now.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 11-18-2015, 01:59 PM
Hatterasguy's Avatar
Zero
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Milford, CT
Posts: 19,307
Just say no to VW.
__________________
2020 GMC Sierra Denali
2007 Tiara 3200
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-18-2015, 05:59 PM
Skid Row Joe's Avatar
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: #KeepingAmericaGreat!
Posts: 7,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwrock View Post
A friend has a Q7 TDI he bought within the last year, and is more upset that he's more than likely going to take a pretty significant value hit when he goes to trade it in. Other than that - he doesn't care about what's going on.
I think you nailed it, Justin......
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-18-2015, 06:07 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: North America
Posts: 552
From what I've been reading, the power will be affected by the new program. However, that's easily fixed with a new performance ecu tune.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-18-2015, 06:14 PM
Skid Row Joe's Avatar
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: #KeepingAmericaGreat!
Posts: 7,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago View Post
Are people going to dump them? I can't see any reason why except for the environmentally sensitive types. If the vehicle is good and gets the mileage I wouldn't trade mine in.
I think not......just a hunch here, but I'm thinking that most cannot financially make a move risking throwing good money after bad, as it's played out. However, in a perfect world - they should, IMO.

There's NFW I'd ever own/drive one of 'em. TG, I didn't fall victim to the cheap hype they were peddling about mpg!

It seems the testimonials around here that bragged on about their diesels have gone underground. They've always made cars that were unsafe in wrecks, as well as nightmarish to work on. I think they're in the process of licking their wounds, IMHO. Nothing like a little truth to realize all those mpg claims are now just bogus.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-18-2015, 07:02 PM
JB3 JB3 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: RI
Posts: 7,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe View Post
I think not......just a hunch here, but I'm thinking that most cannot financially make a move risking throwing good money after bad, as it's played out. However, in a perfect world - they should, IMO.

There's NFW I'd ever own/drive one of 'em. TG, I didn't fall victim to the cheap hype they were peddling about mpg!

It seems the testimonials around here that bragged on about their diesels have gone underground. They've always made cars that were unsafe in wrecks, as well as nightmarish to work on. I think they're in the process of licking their wounds, IMHO. Nothing like a little truth to realize all those mpg claims are now just bogus.
Lol
Nothing like a little dose of breathtaking ignorance to bump the entertainment value around here.
Lets hear how tough those VWs you worked on were to service
__________________
This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-21-2015, 08:40 PM
Drago's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: White Oak Swamp
Posts: 2,318
Well I got my eye on a 2010 jetta station wagon, price is ok and the wife is getting tired of dropping me off and picking me up from work so I gotta get something
__________________
1993 MB 300D 245K died.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-22-2015, 06:32 AM
JB3 JB3 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: RI
Posts: 7,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago View Post
Well I got my eye on a 2010 jetta station wagon, price is ok and the wife is getting tired of dropping me off and picking me up from work so I gotta get something
6 speed or DSG? Whats your preference?

Make sure it has the urea system as well as a dpf. Theoretically those will be easier to reflash
__________________
This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-22-2015, 06:35 AM
JB3 JB3 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: RI
Posts: 7,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by fahrvergnugen View Post
From what I understand; the Only changes that will need to be made will be programming, and that this Won't affect Power at all. They ran these things rich in an effort to help the engine self-clean the intake and EGR system; they did this so that they could cut-down on expenses during warranty. SO, even thought VW saved money by doing this, they will now have to spend More than that amount of money saved to grease-palms...

<--Disappointed VW dude
On the cars with full emissions equipment maybe. Physical emissions equipment will have to be added to a lot of them though that are missing components.

If it were as simple as a reflash it would have been done already. Remeber the EPA gave them a considerable amount of time to come up with a recall fix before they went public, and VW wasnt able to solve the problem in the time limit

__________________
This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page