|
|
|
|
|
|
#1
|
|||
|
|||
|
I wonder if someone can tell me if there is a way of telling if your car has synthetic oil or regular dino oil. The reason I ask is when you take it to a shop
(an honest one I hope) and you don't visualy see them putting the oil in the car, How do I know that he actually used the syntheic? Is there a color difference, or smell, or any other charactoristic that would help me determine he did what I paid for.Thanks |
|
#2
|
|||
|
|||
|
Other than sending a sample for Oil Analysis, I don't know of any sure way to tell the difference.
__________________
1991 M-B 560SEL Arctic White/Grey 99,000 Miles 1987 M-B 300SDL Ivory/Palomino 229,000 Miles (sold but never forgotten) 2006 Volvo XC70 Blue/Beige 1999 Porsche Boxster Arena Red/Savanna Beige 1986 Porsche 928S Goldweiss/Brown |
|
#3
|
||||
|
||||
|
this is why
i always take my cars to the local quicky's quick lube (i am not making that name up) if i dont change it myself. i stand there and watch them drain the oil, and then watch them put the new oil in. i prefer to use only oil that they have to take from plastic containers. the oil in the drums gives me the willies. who knows what it might be.
tom w
__________________
[SIGPIC] Diesel loving autocrossing grandpa Architect. 08 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins & six speed; I have had about 35 benzes. I have a 39 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup in which I have had installed a 617 turbo and a five speed manual. [SIGPIC]..I also have a 427 Cobra replica with an aluminum chassis. |
|
#4
|
||||
|
||||
|
thats why i would never trust a jiffy lube or a and oil changing place. If i were you next time buy the oil and give it to them to change. It will be cheaper that way because all you pay is for the labor and the oil filter. and youll save some extra bucks buying at the store because oil change places usually charge some extra cents for you to use their oil.
|
|
#5
|
|||
|
|||
|
Watch Them or Trust Them
Yep, if you can't trust them then don't bring it to them for a fluid change. This applies to other fluid changes too, like Redline Synthetic transmission oil. Also, regardless of where you have your oil change, always check the oil level before you drive off. I know of two instances where oil was drained but never replaced
The quicky oil change place eventually replaced the engine (rebuilt) but the hassle was not worth it.I prefer to change my own oil - I know what goes in, and the quality. Most quicky places tend to overfill, which may not be good for the engine. |
|
#6
|
||||
|
||||
|
I watch quicky lube places if I have to go to them. Also I watch mechanics working on my car or I do it myself. Most time I bring them the parts.
__________________
01 Ford Excursion Powerstroke 99 E300 Turbodiesel 91 Vette with 383 motor 05 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI 06 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI 03 SeaDoo GTX SC Red 03 SeaDoo GTX SC Yellow 04 Tailgator 21 ft Toy Hauler 11 Harley Davidson 883 SuperLow |
|
#7
|
||||
|
||||
|
I've been using synthetics for years in the driveline and used to always do these changes myself until I had a major spillage and these activities have become forbidden at home now. Find a garage or lube place that has a window or someplace to watch thing and take them your own oil and filter and pay for labor. Otherwise, take them the oil and filter and just trust them.
__________________
PagodaLOVER 1967 230SL, manual 1959 180D, manual |
|
#8
|
||||
|
||||
|
I don't really see how anybody can justify spending the money on synthetics in a diesel. You get so much soot in the oil you have to change it more frequently than you would in a gasser, so you can't really do the extended oil changes. I change mine every 3000 miles or three months which ever comes first. I do top off with synthetics though. It helps keep things a little cleaner in the engine and makes up for any lubricating abilities lost by the dino oil.
|
|
#9
|
||||
|
||||
|
Synthetic tastes better!
Have you had your oil shower this week? Ah, the joy of hot oil running down my chest.
__________________
ASE Master Mechanic Prototype R&D/testing: Thermal & Aerodynamic System Engineering (TASE) Senior vehicle instrumentation technician. Noise Vibration and Harshness (NVH). Dynamometer. Heat exchanger durability. HV-A/C Climate Control. Vehicle build. Fleet Durability Technical Quality Auditor. Automotive Technical Writer 1985 300SD 1983 300D https://www.boldegoist.com/ |
|
#10
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
Now, all of a sudden it's like petrolium oils are less than adequate. Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not attacking anyone here. This is such a common debate on many forums, and they all draw the same conclusions, which is....no one agrees on anything. Personally, if I bought a new vehicle, put on the break-in miles, and planned on keeping it a year past forever, then I'd put synthetic in it. Otherwise, it'll probably outlast my payments/desire to keep it/lifetime. As to the posters original question, from my experience at doing oil changes on motorcycles (at a busy shop), it's almost impssible to tell by looking at the oil what it is. Usually you can tell when the customer freaks out 'cause you dumped out his $14/l oil to do a warranty repair and filled the cases with the terrible factory-recommended oil. Unfortunately for them, factory won't pay for other oils. They've determined their own oil will work fine at 15,500 rpm, I guess.
__________________
1991 GMC Sonoma Ext Cab w/Isuzu diesel (converted March Mar 2003) - sold 1994 S10 Ext Cab w/Isuzu diesel (converted Mar 2008) 1998 Toyota Sienna XLE B6100HST Kubota CUT DIESEL ![]() 1994 S10 with Isuzu diesel and 5spd http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...S15/SigPic.jpg |
|
#11
|
|||
|
|||
|
Quote:
|
|
#12
|
||||
|
||||
|
I poped the valve cover off my 603 to check the timing chain. After 20k on Delvac 1 it was absolutly spotless. Looks like a fresh engine under the cover.
__________________
2006 CL500 1969 280SE 2023 Ram 1500 2026 Genesis GV70 2007 Tiara 3200 |
|
#13
|
||||
|
||||
|
yep
i have always used dino in my 616 617 engines. now i am using synthetic in my 350sdl. 3000 on dino, 5000 on synthetic.
i have 42k on my dodge cummins now. today i changed the oil and put in 6 qt of rotella and 7 qt of mobil one 10w40. i will go 4 or 5k on that. i will be interested in seeing if my mileage goes up. course, i will be running winter blend at least til i get to the south land. tom w
__________________
[SIGPIC] Diesel loving autocrossing grandpa Architect. 08 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins & six speed; I have had about 35 benzes. I have a 39 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup in which I have had installed a 617 turbo and a five speed manual. [SIGPIC]..I also have a 427 Cobra replica with an aluminum chassis. |
|
#14
|
|||
|
|||
|
Quote:
|
|
#15
|
||||
|
||||
|
Yeah they are the same stuff. Awhile back someone sent virgin samples to the lab. I think the Truck and SUV stuff has a Boron tracer in it thats the only difference. Well other then the bottle and price!
Thats why I use it Walmart has it cheap, I am not going to order oil then with shipping its like $6-$7 a quart. 15w-50 will work just fine, and that is what I would use if Delvac 1 wasn't sold at Walmart.
__________________
2006 CL500 1969 280SE 2023 Ram 1500 2026 Genesis GV70 2007 Tiara 3200 |
![]() |
| Bookmarks |
|
|