Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Discussions > Off-Topic Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you run A/V?
Yes 31 70.45%
No 13 29.55%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-19-2008, 08:42 PM
iwrock's Avatar
roflmonster
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hella NorCal
Posts: 3,313
Do you run Anti-Virus?

I want to know how many of you guys actually run some sort of Anti-Virus on your computer....


I personally do not run anything, but I always tell people to run it...


So what about you? (And reasons...)

__________________
-Justin

91 560 SEC AMG - other dogs dd
01 Honda S2000 - dogs dd
07 MB ML320 CDI - dd
16 Lexus IS250 - wifes dd

it's automatic.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-19-2008, 08:57 PM
Hatterasguy's Avatar
Zero
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Milford, CT
Posts: 19,323
No, don't want to pay for it and don't know much about computers.
__________________
2006 CL500
1969 280SE
2023 Ram 1500
2026 Genesis GV70
2007 Tiara 3200
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-19-2008, 09:22 PM
Registered Hack
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,642
yes, but I have better results w/o it. It works like a homing device for mal-ware.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-19-2008, 09:27 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Rockville MD
Posts: 833
Windows yes, Ubuntu (linux) no.
__________________
1985 380SE Blue/Blue - 230,000 miles
2012 Subaru Forester 5-speed
2005 Toyota Sienna
2004 Chrysler Sebring convertible
1999 Toyota Tacoma
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-19-2008, 09:47 PM
diametricalbenz's Avatar
The Crowbar of Embriage
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 3,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwrock View Post
I want to know how many of you guys actually run some sort of Anti-Virus on your computer....

I personally do not run anything, but I always tell people to run it...

So what about you? (And reasons...)
I am shocked!

Running your computer without AV or spyware is like leaving a SL63 AMG with the doors unlocked.

Someone might steal it (virus) steal the registration information (spyware) or graffiiti the thing (adware).
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-19-2008, 09:50 PM
Ara T.'s Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 2,075
I'd say you could easily run without anti virus software, provided you never surfed for porn or used P2P programs like Limewire and BitTorrent to download games/music/movies/whatever.
__________________
1985 CA 300D Turbo , 213K mi
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-19-2008, 09:56 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 146
I've been running without AV for 2 years now. Not one problem. The trick as I have been told is to NOT use Internet Explorer, and if you use a PC, don't upgrade higher than XP service pack 1.
I use Firefox exclusively.
Apparently IE is a virus/hacker delight.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-19-2008, 09:59 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Phoenix Arizona. Ex Durban R.S.A.
Posts: 6,136
I use my office laptop at home and it has Norton on it. My girlfriends laptop which had XP till the drive bit the dust had Norton Anti Virus on it. It was so dog slow it was almost unusable until she eventually removed Norton. I have no problems with mine but then of course being and office machine I don't surf porn, or download suspect files. When I get my g/f's laptop loaded with a new HDD and gOS, a version of Linux, I shall see how things go without any anti virus software.

- Peter.
__________________
2021 Chevrolet Spark
Formerly...
2000 GMC Sonoma
1981 240D 4spd stick. 347000 miles. Deceased Feb 14 2021
2002 Kia Rio. Worst crap on four wheels
1981 240D 4spd stick. 389000 miles.
1984 123 200
1979 116 280S
1972 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1971 108 280S
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-19-2008, 10:11 PM
tyl604's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,881
Pull up the free virus program called AVG by Grisoft. It is recommended by PC Magazine. I have used it for years on all my computers and have never had a virus. It does not have a reputation for slowing down computers.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-19-2008, 10:55 PM
diametricalbenz's Avatar
The Crowbar of Embriage
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 3,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ara T. View Post
I'd say you could easily run without anti virus software, provided you never surfed for porn or used P2P programs like Limewire and BitTorrent to download games/music/movies/whatever.
How do you know....perhaps from downloading all of the above?

One way or another a virus, adware and or spyware is going to get through to the machine and in a split second it'll be ruined. I have seen it a hundred times and they had to pay handsomely in either money or cookies for data recovery at places I have worked for.

BTW I do data recoveries on a sliding cost scale.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-19-2008, 11:04 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Walnut Creek, CA & 1,150 miles S of Key West
Posts: 4,874
The first 12 years I was online I never used anything except common sense.

Two years ago when "Gpa" got online and started sending me everything he couldn't open or didnt understand i've started using AVG free. I've set him up with Norton out of self preservation. Have also taught him to search Snopes b4 believing everything his friends send him.
__________________
Terry Allison
N. Calif. & Boca Chica, Panama

09' E320 Bluetec 77k (USA)
09' Hyundai Santa Fe Diesel 48k (S.A.)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-19-2008, 11:15 PM
iwrock's Avatar
roflmonster
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hella NorCal
Posts: 3,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by diametricalbenz View Post
How do you know....perhaps from downloading all of the above?

One way or another a virus, adware and or spyware is going to get through to the machine and in a split second it'll be ruined. I have seen it a hundred times and they had to pay handsomely in either money or cookies for data recovery at places I have worked for.

BTW I do data recoveries on a sliding cost scale.



So thats why my computer business has picked up in the Bay Area.



I do IT stuff for money... I do data recovery from damaged, corrupt, or erased drives. Well, I also design networks, systems, databases, etc.
__________________
-Justin

91 560 SEC AMG - other dogs dd
01 Honda S2000 - dogs dd
07 MB ML320 CDI - dd
16 Lexus IS250 - wifes dd

it's automatic.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-19-2008, 11:29 PM
Ara T.'s Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 2,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by diametricalbenz View Post
How do you know....perhaps from downloading all of the above?

One way or another a virus, adware and or spyware is going to get through to the machine and in a split second it'll be ruined. I have seen it a hundred times and they had to pay handsomely in either money or cookies for data recovery at places I have worked for.

BTW I do data recoveries on a sliding cost scale.
Well lately there have been a lot of trojans being packed into (pirated) software on BitTorrent. Also I used to work at CompUSA dealing with BS caused by all of the above. Porn and limewire were usually the culprits.

We charged 60 bucks, flat rate for data backup. There were a few people who balked at that who turned out to regret the decision after we wiped their OS
__________________
1985 CA 300D Turbo , 213K mi
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-20-2008, 12:14 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Columbus OH
Posts: 275
I couldn't imagine not having it. I have the free AVG software. I also use CCleaner, also free.
IIRC, AVG even caught something from some ad that was on MShop.
__________________
1984 300TD
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-20-2008, 12:48 AM
compress ignite's Avatar
Drone aspiring to Serfdom
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: 32(degrees) North by 81(degrees) West
Posts: 5,554
It's not really a Computer

'Just a very large(capacity) storage device for: Anti-Virus,Anti-Spyware,Anti-
Spamware.
'Lost track 2 years ago of which updates automatically and how often.
Spybot S+D HAS finally accepted Ad Aware and stopped "Ratting it Out" every
time it scans.
CC Cleaner is great!
AVG picks up all the dross everything else leaves behind.
Avira AntiVir is an excellent 1st line of defense (Thanks Ghurka!).

All the Norton and Macfee products do is clog up your drives.

__________________
'84 300SD sold
124.128
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2026 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page