Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Mercedes-Benz Performance Paddock

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-12-2000, 01:08 AM
300EVIL's Avatar
Moderator Incarnate
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Lake Geneva, WI.
Posts: 1,676
IVE HAD A FEW MECHANICS TELL ME THAT PLATINUM PLUGS WERE NOT GOOD FOR MY ENGINE IN MY 300E BUT, THEY COULD NOT GIVE ME AN EXPLANATION WHY.
COULD SOMEONE PLEASE ENLIGHTEN ME ON THIS REASON.
THANKS,
ADAM

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-15-2000, 12:19 PM
PaulReynolds
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Bosch platinum +4

I don't have an answer to your question, but I do have platinum+4 in my 2.6 liter. They have been in for about 10,000 miles. They work fine. Are they better than the copper bosch I replaced? Probably not. I can't really tell any difference one way or another. I would just use a regular plug if I were you. Save your money.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-15-2000, 12:49 PM
LarryBible
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
There are two potential problems with these plugs. The worst of which is that they have been known to break, leaving indigestible particles in the upper end of your engine.

The more likely problem is the fact that due to the expense of the platinum material, the electrode is very thin, creating a thin spark. This can result in a rough idle.

Before I knew this, I ran a set of the platinums about 70,000 miles. They did produce a rough idle.

I now use copper Bosch plugs set at about .038. They give me a much better idle. The only down side is changing them about every 30,000 miles instead of screwing them in and forgetting about them.

Good luck,

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oil Additives Bill Wood Mercedes-Benz Performance Paddock 6 08-24-2011 10:53 AM
No more Bosch filters for M103 at autozone? dirtysocks Tech Help 7 12-23-2004 06:46 PM
M103 rough sounding engine fan? chazola Tech Help 7 01-22-2004 08:05 AM
300SL Gullwing with a M103 engine volosong Mercedes-Benz Cars For Sale 3 01-09-2004 11:08 PM
Oil Consumption - M103 engine Mike Murrell Tech Help 3 03-12-2000 08:59 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2026 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page