Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Diesel Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-25-2011, 11:21 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 16
Transmission swap - 1982 turbo 300D

Sick trans in the 300D - ungodly howling, maybe from the tc....rough shifting, won't find 4th gear....has fluid, all vac connectors check out...do have a donor car in the yard with a strong drivetrain - is an '82 300SD...these are both 722.4 yes?

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-26-2011, 02:56 AM
Stretch's Avatar
...like a shield of steel
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Somewhere in the Netherlands
Posts: 14,461
Welcome to the forum 81126

I don't think you'll find a 722.4 in a 1982... I think that was introduced later on.

Have a look on the side of the casing next to the oil pan you'll find a long series of numbers there.

__________________
1992 W201 190E 1.8 171,000 km - Daily driver
1981 W123 300D ~ 100,000 miles / 160,000 km - project car stripped to the bone
1965 Land Rover Series 2a Station Wagon CIS recovery therapy!
1961 Volvo PV544 Bare metal rat rod-ish thing

I'm here to chat about cars and to help others - I'm not here "to always be right" like an internet warrior



Don't leave that there - I'll take it to bits!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-26-2011, 07:24 AM
Admiral-Third World Fleet
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Central FL
Posts: 3,069
Should be 722.315 if it is original in the 300D and 722.303 in the 300SD.
__________________
80 300SD (129k mi) 82 240D stick (193k mi)77 240D auto - stick to be (153k mi) 85 380SL (145k mi) 89 BMW 535i 82 Diesel Rabbit Pickup (374k mi) 91 Jetta IDI Diesel (155k mi) 81 VW Rabbit Convertible Diesel 70 Triumph Spitfire Mk III (63kmi)66 Triumph TR4a IRS (90k mi)67 Ford F-100 (??)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-27-2011, 02:39 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 16
Many thanks...

...er, so will the donor 300SD trans fit the 300D? Both are behind similar OM617 motors (ie turbo) - so I'm hoping this will work...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-27-2011, 02:59 AM
DeliveryValve's Avatar
Chairman of my Benz
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Central California
Posts: 4,159
What is the year and model of the car that is receiving the trans?


.
__________________
1983 123.133 California
- GreaseCar Veg System


Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-27-2011, 03:07 AM
Stretch's Avatar
...like a shield of steel
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Somewhere in the Netherlands
Posts: 14,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs899 View Post
Should be 722.315 if it is original in the 300D and 722.303 in the 300SD.
Now that sounds like a voice of experience...

Would you happen to know if the 722.118 for example was only fitted to diesels? And was the 722.120 only fitted to petrol engines etc etc

So... what I'm getting at is...

Is there a list somewhere where the XXX bits of numbers 722.XXX and where they were / are meant to go?
__________________
1992 W201 190E 1.8 171,000 km - Daily driver
1981 W123 300D ~ 100,000 miles / 160,000 km - project car stripped to the bone
1965 Land Rover Series 2a Station Wagon CIS recovery therapy!
1961 Volvo PV544 Bare metal rat rod-ish thing

I'm here to chat about cars and to help others - I'm not here "to always be right" like an internet warrior



Don't leave that there - I'll take it to bits!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-27-2011, 03:21 AM
DeliveryValve's Avatar
Chairman of my Benz
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Central California
Posts: 4,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army View Post
..
Would you happen to know if the 722.118 for example was only fitted to diesels? And was the 722.120 only fitted to petrol engines etc etc
...
118 was mated to the N/A 300D and the 120 was mated to the w116 300SD turbo.
__________________
1983 123.133 California
- GreaseCar Veg System


Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-27-2011, 03:48 AM
Stretch's Avatar
...like a shield of steel
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Somewhere in the Netherlands
Posts: 14,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliveryValve View Post
118 was mated to the N/A 300D and the 120 was mated to the w116 300SD turbo.
Thanks - is there a list of these combinations anywhere or is this experience / junk yard based knowledge?

I'm also interested in 722.3 transmissions too you see.
__________________
1992 W201 190E 1.8 171,000 km - Daily driver
1981 W123 300D ~ 100,000 miles / 160,000 km - project car stripped to the bone
1965 Land Rover Series 2a Station Wagon CIS recovery therapy!
1961 Volvo PV544 Bare metal rat rod-ish thing

I'm here to chat about cars and to help others - I'm not here "to always be right" like an internet warrior



Don't leave that there - I'll take it to bits!

Last edited by Stretch; 05-27-2011 at 03:49 AM. Reason: Added a bit more
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-27-2011, 06:40 AM
Admiral-Third World Fleet
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Central FL
Posts: 3,069
The official MB transmission manuals have such lists. I have one for the 722.3xx, but not the 733.1xx (sorry Army)
I don't think it's complete- doesn't have the US 300D which is 722.315 but....
Transmission: Chassis:
722.300 123.033, 123.053, 126.022, 126.023
722.301 126.032, 126.023
722.302 126.036, 126.037
722.303 126.193, 126.120
722.304 107.025, 107.045
722.305 107.026, 107.046
722.306 107.022, 107.042
722.307 126.021
722.308 123.026, 123.028, 123.086
722.309 123.007, 123.033, 123.053, 123.093
722.310 126.032, 126.033, 126.043
722.311 126.036, 126.037, 126.044
722.312 107.045
722.313 107.046, 107.048 CONTINUED BELOW
__________________
80 300SD (129k mi) 82 240D stick (193k mi)77 240D auto - stick to be (153k mi) 85 380SL (145k mi) 89 BMW 535i 82 Diesel Rabbit Pickup (374k mi) 91 Jetta IDI Diesel (155k mi) 81 VW Rabbit Convertible Diesel 70 Triumph Spitfire Mk III (63kmi)66 Triumph TR4a IRS (90k mi)67 Ford F-100 (??)

Last edited by rs899; 05-28-2011 at 06:31 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-27-2011, 06:47 AM
Admiral-Third World Fleet
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Central FL
Posts: 3,069
Transmission: Chassis:
722.315 123.193
722.317 124.133,124.193
722.319 126.024,126.025
722.320 124.030,124.090
722.321 126.125
722.322 107.041
722.323 126.039,126.045
722.324 126.034, 126.035,126.046
722.325 107.047
722.345 124.226
722.346 124.230, 124.290
722.347 124.330, 124.333
722.348 124.393
722.350 126.039, 126.045
...and probably other combinations after this book went to press in 1988
__________________
80 300SD (129k mi) 82 240D stick (193k mi)77 240D auto - stick to be (153k mi) 85 380SL (145k mi) 89 BMW 535i 82 Diesel Rabbit Pickup (374k mi) 91 Jetta IDI Diesel (155k mi) 81 VW Rabbit Convertible Diesel 70 Triumph Spitfire Mk III (63kmi)66 Triumph TR4a IRS (90k mi)67 Ford F-100 (??)
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-27-2011, 07:44 AM
Stretch's Avatar
...like a shield of steel
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Somewhere in the Netherlands
Posts: 14,461
Fan - bloody - tastic rs899 you are the man (he says in his poshest British accent)

Consider this thread bookmarked

I vote it gets sticky status for that kind of information - this is the first thread (that I'm aware of anyway) that specifically links transmission type to chassis type.
__________________
1992 W201 190E 1.8 171,000 km - Daily driver
1981 W123 300D ~ 100,000 miles / 160,000 km - project car stripped to the bone
1965 Land Rover Series 2a Station Wagon CIS recovery therapy!
1961 Volvo PV544 Bare metal rat rod-ish thing

I'm here to chat about cars and to help others - I'm not here "to always be right" like an internet warrior



Don't leave that there - I'll take it to bits!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-27-2011, 08:43 AM
Admiral-Third World Fleet
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Central FL
Posts: 3,069
It's a start, but I am sure there are many holes in it.

LIke I said, it doesn't link the 722.315 to the 300D.

The EPC (which Army, I don't think you have free access to) will show you what goes with what, if you go in by chassis.
__________________
80 300SD (129k mi) 82 240D stick (193k mi)77 240D auto - stick to be (153k mi) 85 380SL (145k mi) 89 BMW 535i 82 Diesel Rabbit Pickup (374k mi) 91 Jetta IDI Diesel (155k mi) 81 VW Rabbit Convertible Diesel 70 Triumph Spitfire Mk III (63kmi)66 Triumph TR4a IRS (90k mi)67 Ford F-100 (??)
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-27-2011, 07:05 PM
DeliveryValve's Avatar
Chairman of my Benz
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Central California
Posts: 4,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs899 View Post
....
722.303 126.193, 126.120
...
I think that's a misprint. I think .193 has a history of being a turbo diesel wagon. I don't think there was one in a w126 flavor. I think it is refering to the 1981 123.193 which had the 722.303 with the electronic speedo input.



.
__________________
1983 123.133 California
- GreaseCar Veg System


Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-28-2011, 03:25 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 16
Trans swap info cont.

[QUOTE=DeliveryValve;2724987]What is the year and model of the car that is receiving the trans?

First, many thanks to all for their input..

to answer, it's an '84 300D, turbo OM617. Potential donor is an '82 300SD.

There's also a complete drivetrain from an '80 300SD that is slated for implanting in a 73 450SEL,but that's a whole other thread.

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2026 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page