I am tired of seeing all these title issues:
- Never buy without a CLEAR title.
- Never trust the seller. Copy the VIN from the car yourself, get a xerox copy both sides of title, be sure the vehicle VIN and title VIN are a perfect match, and check it with the local DMV.
- Have the local DMV explain the correct way to fill out the title.
- Have a notary witness the transaction; it is worth having an extra witness to the transaction.
- Transfer the title to your name, same day if possible, until it is transferred, a crooked previous owner can apply for a lost title and sell it out from under you, or claim theft.
- Lock the title in a fire safe or safety deposit box.
- Get the vehicle off their property the same day if possible, I have been charged storage of $100 per day by a crook, he found out the true value of vehicle after the sale, and tried to get it back by seizing it for storage fees.
For some reason; diesel owners in general seem to be more old school type honest and trustworthy.
Please don't trust anyone on titles.
I have been burned enough times to never allow it again.
If you are looking for a Bill of Sale or other forms to use...
Click here to find DMV forms for your state.