View Single Post
Old 10-31-2005, 08:41 PM

Very hard Cold Start, 1980 SLC 5.0

This car has been sitting for the better part of 2.5 years. Work on it has been sporadic. I finally got a transmission (4 spd) installed and began to drive it a little.
At temps above 55F the car can be coaxed into starting with a little tender footwork. At temps between 30 and 45F the car startes instantly and stops just about as quickly. After about 20 of these cylcles it appearently warms up enough to start. I also have used a hair dryer left under the hood for about 20 minutes and successfully started the car. This still requires some help from the throttle, gentle jostling.
On many domestic and japanese cars with fuel injection and some sort of 5th, 7th, or 9th cylinder cold start help, when this happens it is often a tempurature sensor that is the culprit.

1. Does the MB have such a sensor that governs or is integrated with either the cold start unit or the warm-up unit (or both) that the would cause the problem described above?

2. Is there another problem here and how can we test of trouble shoot this sytem to nail down the "bad guy"?

Any help I can get from the forum I would greatly appreciate.
Thanks. Lee