Thread: w123 vs w126
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2005, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PagodaLover
Respectfully, you just described the very reasons I prefer the w123 over the w126. These are also the reason I have bought a 300TDT, an Aston DB2, an Alfa Giulietta Spider Veloce, an MGA, a Jeep Grand Wagoneer Woody, and have never bought a plasticy Miata, w126, or modern Mercedes-Hyundai looking variant.... chrome + class. Personally, the w123 even had wayyyyy too much plastic inside for me.
No problem Sir, people different tastes. I just like modern stuff. Not into older things, your choices seem to be completely the opposite of mine. Either way, everyone gets their thirsts quenched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Tamburrino
I had an '82 sd. The opinion that 123's have worse rust issues is hard to believe. One spot that looked bad where there was a support rod which attached to the lower control arm and went back and bolted or welded to the frame. I could not tell which since it was too rusted. The 123's replacement parts are more affordable. The 126 has an upper and lower ball joint and the 123 just has a lower. Axles are cheaper. The 77-85 123's have the least expensive parts-period. The 300d weighs 100 lbs less than the 300sd, and far as I know has the same gearing, so mileage comparisons should be real close. For those who have ambitions of swapping in a manual tranny, the speedo swap only works with 123's. (mechanical cable vs. electronic signal on the 126). Mabee a 126 manual tranny exists-and has electronic signal sender instead of cable-very rare and infeasable to find.
Looks aside, cheaper parts and manual trans compatable are my reasons.

'84 300d
When I stated that W123 are more prone to rust, I was going off personal experience, just like you are, though mine seems to be more broad. I've personally seen at least 5 W123s with rusted out bodies. I am yet to come across one W126 (even online) with rust clearly visible on the doors, fenders, bumpers, etc. Sure there will be rust inside those parts, I know because I've parted out the front end of a W126, but as long as I can't see it from the outside, hey, that's great! Nothing like a horrible looking car.

As for differences in prices of parts, well, let's just say that I just have to do with the prices of the W126 parts. Small sacrifice for much bigger gains.