View Single Post
Old 11-09-2005, 10:44 AM
Senior Benz fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Carlton
I never could understand why folks purchase serious snow tires in states that have limited snowfall (Virginia) or even here in NY where they have a relatively excellent highway department. Once the road is plowed, the sun takes over within a couple of hours and the snow tires are not needed.

The only benefit is when you get caught in a snowstorm, prior to the arrival of the plow.

In such a condition, the MB won't do all that great, but, simply drive the vehicle slower with more care on acceleration and stopping. How often do you actually get caught in a snowstorm?

I'd never spend the money on winter tires unless I lived in rural Vermont or Montana or places that get heavy snow for days on end.

Kind of reminds me of all the people who must purchase an SUV because they have to be prepared for the snow..............as if they would be stranded in a snowfall with a Camry.

Couple reasons why Brian.....I live at the end of a Cul-de-sac which is uphill out of my drive...uphill out to the main road where I have to turn left and go uphill......and Cul-De-scas are the LAST to be plowed or salted....

Lot of hills where i am....and trust me......I have all season tire on my honda....I can't get to the main road if there is more than 2 inches of snow with anything frozen under it. And frequently you HAVE to stop on those hills.

Yeah you don't need them every day but the days that you do..you really do. You are giving way too much credit to our highway dept.....its not all that good.

Besides I travel to a rural suburb of Pittsburgh when you do need real snow tires (Foothills of the Allegany mountains and the tail end of lake effect storms....) though areas freak storms are real common.
1983 300D W123
1975 Ironhead Sportster chopper
1987 GMC 3/4 ton 4X4 Diesel
1989 Honda Civic (Heavily modified)
---------------------
Section 609 MVAC Certified
---------------------
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Last edited by boneheaddoctor; 11-09-2005 at 10:49 AM.