View Single Post
Old 11-11-2005, 02:38 PM

87 300SDL new Gplugs/relay rough cold start

Hi
This is my first post since moving to Madison, I searched the posts and it seems this is not uncommon and the main solution seems to be a dud glow plug or glow plug relay, but...

11 months ago I had this problem and it was much more severe--after replacing the glow plugs and finding out I had a bad GP relay, it was replaced with a new one (9/04 is the manuf. date so I assume it has afterglow) After that it was smooth. Ran it through the winter with the block heater and all of those 0 degree days it started smooth without problems.

Unfortunately, in the last week I had to replace the Injection pump. The car lost it's ability to accelerate under a heavy foot. After a complete inspection the compensator on the injection pump that controls the fuel under boost (ALDA?) was bad. After a bad rebuild, (bad idle compensator) the car runs great. Also all 6 injectors were replaced.

So now when it's under 45 degrees--which is not that cold up here, the car on startup runs very rough, a belch, a hiccup, a little grayish smoke for about 20 seconds and then a smooth purr after the sound of the monovalve? flapping shut on the right hand side of the firewall. The monovalve and the ignition switch are new.

So I know that in the last 11 months I've replaced the plugs and glow plug relay. In the last week injectors, and injection pump and it still does this. I've had the car for 6 years, 5 of those were Chicago winters (just as cold) with no block heater and I never witnessed this. Someone told me to have the plugs pulled and check the resistance but knowing they have 11 months, and maybe 8,000 miles on them and the glow plug relay light is still working I am unsure this is the problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks people.

Jeff

'87 300sdl 200,300k