View Single Post
Old 11-18-2005, 07:17 AM
69 mercedes 220d

acetone as fuel additive

Acetone has a number of relevant propertie's. First it is extremely volatile, much more so than alcohol or gasoline. Second, acetone binds water and disperses water so that water will not be in globules which don't go through a carbureted or injected motor easily. Thirdly, acetone is an extremely good solvent, it will degrade o-rings or any rubber-based fuel lines. The main variable to consider is "dose/effect". The smaller the dose per tank and the smaller dose over how many gallons of fuel you run through the tank over a period of time makes a difference. Fourthly, dependent on acetone concentration in the fuel, acetone raises the flash temperature the combustion chamber, piston, rings, valves, cylinder walls see. Fourthly, acetone, because it is such a good solvent, will clean deposits in the fuel system. Note that you will never find acetone sold in typical plastic containers as those containers would dissolve immediately. That is why it is sold in metal containers. So, in my opinion, due to acetone's solvent properties on rubber-based parts, I would only use it if I had reason to believe I had water at some part of my fuel system (again, acetone will bind water extremely well and disperse any globules, which readily cause problems). But, ethanol and methanol bind water as well as well as acetone and is much easier on rubber-based or certain plastics. Never leave an acetone container open as it will bind moisture in the air. Lastly, lastly, acetone is one of the most explosive chemicals sold over the counter. Don't even think of using acetone in your garage, or smoking a cigarette, or turning on a light switch, or having a water heater or furnace around (no closed spaces). I should say that I worked with acetone for year's in a former profession and never used it anyplace except in a fume hood. I forgot to say, that if it come's in contact with your skin it will dissolve anything on your skin and carry it into the bloodstream. Dimethyl-sulfoxide is very similar in it's properties to acetone. It's been used as a horse liniment for years. I don't think DMSO is a controlled substance. Put a drop of DMSO on your toe and you will taste it in your mouth in a matter of seconds. Geez, I know there will be other forum member's who say they've used it for years with no problem. Well, again, it's the concentration that is key. But, in the beginning, you have a pure container of acetone, so if you must use it, be careful. I don't want any of my fellow forum member's to wind up dead or in the burn ward. I don't mean this as bragging, but only as some evidence of my credentials in making the above statements, I have a PhD in neurobiology, worked with acetone for years and do know what I'm talking about.