View Single Post
Old 11-22-2005, 04:42 AM

Yes indeed, I was speaking about US car magazines such as those listed. But even the crazy Euro magazines aren't so accurate. The W220 may have faced criticisms but that's because MB actually got realistic, reduced prices, made the car on a budget and delivered a product far more efficient, sporty and friendly than any W140. The sales are a great indicator of the success of the model. It was the kind of product people wanted. The oversize, "overengineered" S-Class had become a sign of excess and even the S-Class buyers wanted something different. Additionally, to attract a new generation of now ageing people who are hitting their wealth highs in the USA, it was time to present something they'd like. Even in Europe, the W140's size meant it wasn't as popular as the W126. With the W220, MB aimed to get that popularity back.

People keep saying that this new S-Class is returning to aspects of the W140. May be true, but look at how it is being done. The new design looks more Italian than German from the sides, it is still an electronic house one wheels, is much sportier and handles way better than it would be expected of a vehicle of its size, etc. All attributes carried over from the W220. Aspects such as increased dimensions and weight may seem more like going back towards the W140 but then again, every new car today grows in those aspects.

Your problems with your Lincoln aren't shocking... it is a Lincoln! Not a benchmark for anything so, well, it is more acceptable than in a Benz. Hell, any form of flawed work is unacceptable in a Benz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Rosich

I also agree that the W140 errors on design such as the evaporator or the engine long block on the 3.5 diesel are just plain horrible on a car with such a price tag and pedigree. But, everything else is so well executed and unique (at the time) that it really made the car special.
Let me speak to you frankly here. I know you're a big time lover of the W140, especially the S500 you own. Yes, this thread is over 18 pages long and you've mostly kept it alive by posting once in a while bashing the W220 and singing the praises for the W140. Many people have come and gone on it but you're still here thanks to your love for the car/chassis. The W220 was also very unique when it came out. It brought several new features along with it. Some cost cutting is visible in the interior but that's ok for a company that for over 90 years was building cars without strict budgets and all of a sudden had to quit doing that and start doing the opposite. Not to mention that several of the new features more than made up for it. Overall, I say the W220 is a better car actually when everything is put together. I wish we could create a table and assign points for each aspect of the cars and see which one ends up with the most points. Hey, maybe we should try that!