Thread: cold feet!
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2005, 09:35 PM
BioDiesel Hopeful

Before you go replacing parts, do some more testing...

I've got the same problem, no heat from floor vents under any situation. I thought it was the vent actuator for the floor vents, but when I tested it, it turned out it was fine! I did however, find a leaking pod, the recirculation/fresh pod. When I disconnected that pod and plugged its line, the floor vents worked!

Get thee a mityvac, and test all the pods you can. when you connect the mityvac to the pod, and pull a vacuum, it should activate, and make something happen. If it looses its vacuum, or doesn't do anything, it has a ripped diaphram, and needs to be rebuilt.

So pull the two kickplates, which should give you access to four of the five pods, the floor vent pod and the defrost pod which are on the driver's side, and the recirc/fresh pod and the main air pod, which are on the passenger side. The center vent pod is a little more hidden, but should be accessible without removing the dash.

You should also test the changeover valves to make sure they are actually changing over. Print out a copy of the Heater/AC Vacuum diagram in the Vacuum Diagrams sticky post in this forum, it shows the vacuum layout, with rough physical positions, and will be a big help.

good luck!

peace,
sam

1982 300TD Astral Silver w/ 250k (BIO BNZ)
2001 Aprilia SR50 Corsa Red w/ 5.5k (>100 MPG)