View Single Post
Old 12-17-2005, 10:14 PM
Banned

"In the war on terror, we cannot afford to be without this law for a single moment," Mr. Bush said forcefully from behind a lectern in the Roosevelt Room, next to the Oval Office. The White House invited cameras in, guaranteeing television coverage.

He said the Senate's action "endangers the lives of our citizens," and added that "the terrorist threat to our country will not expire in two weeks," a reference to the approaching deadline of Dec. 31, when critical provisions of the current law will end. His statement came just a day before he is scheduled to make a rare Oval Office address to the nation, at 9 p.m. Eastern time on Sunday, celebrating the Iraqi elections and describing what his press secretary on Saturday called the "path forward."

What Patriot Act?

Bush just lost the trust of every thinking member of Congress. This was hoked up by Cheney.

The Congress just got a lesson on why trusting Bush is dangerous, and my bet he briefed Goss, Frist amd Hastert, and that's it.

What Bush doesn't get is that HE doesn't determine his constitutional responsibilities, Congress does. The courts do.

I can't imagine the week will end without an injunction filed to stop this. The excuse that they couldn't use the courts is bull@#$%. They didn't want to. Because thius is about creating an imperial presidency.

I think people's reactions to this will stun Bush. The Bushies will still kiss his a@#, but everyone else should be scared @#$%less.

Let's ask about an enemies list as well.

This throws Bush's nomination of Harriet "he's the most brilliant man I ever met" Miers for the Supreme Court into a little sharper focus, eh? The way I see it, there's no way for even Scalia and Thomas to uphold the Yoo doctrine on which Bush bases his actions in this case. Bush saw the need for a blindly loyal justice with none of that pesky "respect for the constitution gained by grappling with its particulars over the course of many years" business.