View Single Post
Old 07-14-2001, 10:06 AM
Strong, silent type

sorry to hear about your dealership expereince. It's almost enough to take the joy out of driving a great car like yours. Regarding the cost of your repair bill. Depending on what state you live, you may not be responsible for the amount of the bill over the original estimate for which the dealer did not get your permission. In california the repair shop must get your approval for repairs over the estimate, or it is "on the house."

Once a dealer tried to charge me $300.00 over the estimate. I would never have authorized the repair because it was not necessary and because I was getting ready to sell the car and had already told th e perspective buyer about the "problem" and the price reflected the condition.

Anyhow, the dealer tried to tell me that they had indeed called me and in fact, the repair bill said that they had called me and received my authorization. I told them that they had NOT called me and when they insisted, I demanded to see their phone bill to prove they had indeed called me. They balked. Then I told them that since I had given them a cell number, I had my own records to prove that no call had come in from them. The service manager's face went blank, they apologized, asked me not to call BAR and told me the repairs were on them.

Anyhow, check your state laws because you may not have to pay for repairs over the original estimate. Good luck.
Current Benzes

1989 300TE "Alice"
1990 300CE "Sam Spade"
1991 300CE "Beowulf" RIP (06.1991 - 10.10.2007)
1998 E320 "Orson"
2002 C320 Wagon "Molly Fox"

Res non semper sunt quae esse videntur

My Gallery

Not in this weather!