View Single Post
Old 12-23-2005, 02:41 PM

Intake Manifold Gasket Air Leak - Help

I just replaced all of my glow plugs in my 87 300D w/277k miles. I took off the intake manifold in doing this job and installed a new gasket. I noticed that the gasket slide easily around as I was reinstalling and I was not sure that it was dead center where it needed to be. Well...when I got everything back together...I noticed that I now had a whistling noise coming from under the hood when the turbo kicked in. I then diagnosed and it seems to come from 1 or 2 intake manifold ports where the gasket is (intake to engine block). There even seems to be a little oil lightly spraying in the general area which also confirms that there may be a slight air leak. I am planning to loosen the intake manifold....try to reposition the gasket and then retighten.

1) Are there are any techniques that would assist me in getting the gasket exactly where I want it when putting it back together? (put a little oil on it to get it to stick better rather than slide?)
2) Should put on a new gasket rather than reuse the one that I just put in? (I have a new one coming)
3) Are there any things that I should be considering in trying to do the job without air leaks this time(assuming that that is the source of the whistling noise).
4) Do people sometimes take off the intake manifold w/o taking off the fuel lines? (I don't want to break anything).

As people may be able to tell....I am no mechanic....just a enthusiast who has recently trying to resolve some issues myself without taking it to a garage....and I take my time and go slow when working on the car!

Thanks.

-------------------
1987 300D 277,000
1995 E300 128,000

1987 300D (277,000)
1995 E300 Diesel (122,000)