View Single Post
Old 01-07-2006, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Kerley
So you're looking for a “... secure, well paying job” out of college? Good luck with that. Don't get me wrong, though. A BA in business, accounting, or whatever is a great start. Reach for that degree with pride. However, don't be upset when you end up having multiple “careers” over your working life. There is no longer such a thing as a secure, well paying, life long “job”. That's why those Andersen guys you're talking too are so bitter. You have awesome economic opportunity before you. You simply have to grab it.
I think your premise is correct. However, I wonder what is the benefit of having a society that is this, well, unstable. My degree qualifies me best to be a teacher, but for a twofold reason, I am a mechanic. (1) I don't enjoy the classroom environment (2) it is ludicrous that a wrench makes more than a teacher, but nonetheless it is generally true where I am.

Your logic is good, but what, pray tell, is the point of any sort of professional training if you are to expect to have to jump from job to job your entire life, scratching to make ends meet? I wouldn't expect to work for the same accounting firm my whole career, but if I pass the CPA exam, I would EXPECT to be able to work as a Certified Public Accountant. Not as a plumber. Not as a claims adjuster. Not as a Realtor. We are headed for chaos if you're unrealistic in expecting to work in your chosen field at all. If we move toward hybrid-powered hovercars, I'll adapt to work on those, or maybe I will go into teaching. Or maybe real estate- I do have my license. If I can't make a living at any of these things, should I have to beat my head against the wall because I am not qualified to be a sewer inspector? I think not, but apparently that is what I am to expect in the future.

I guess for job security, nothing beats the corrections industry, at least until we just start executing all the criminals for any offense and don't bother with incarceration. Hi ho hi ho, it's off to work we go, as prison guards...