View Single Post
Old 01-16-2006, 07:23 PM
Dieseldiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmi
I finally had time to pull the head - took it to Mark at DeGoff's Cylinder Head Service in Northridge, and he pronounced it terminally cracked; unrepairable. Took him about 15 seconds to find the "Grand Canyon" crack, and its little buddies. Two combustion chambers look like the surface of the moon. I guess I will look for a used engine - this condition had obviously been developing for a long time, and given the elevated level of tin reported by the oil lab, I just don't trust the bottom end. Worst car I've ever bought - a very expensive lesson. Thanks again for all the tips. The news was bad, but Mark really knows his stuff. BigMac
You took it to the right place. Mark has done two heads for me, and I delivered both of them (from No. Calif yet!) mostly because I had some business in So Cal., but especially becauze I like to see Mark and his shop. Did you see all the pictures of race cars with his woirk in them on the wall in his office?
There are very few cylinder head shops or individuals with his experience.

You're lucky it wasn't an aluminum head, they are not common like 617 heads. You should be able to find a 300D or SD head easily in So Cal., if not I can source one from up here. No engines here though, too heavy for me to deliver anyhow.