View Single Post
Old 07-26-2001, 11:52 AM
Hello Everyone,

My 190E 2.3 (85, 118K) is driving me nuts - have shown it to 3 techs (incl dealer), spent $2K over the last 6 months, and it keeps getting worse!! I have read as many responses from the archives, but to no avail. Please help!

Since yesterday, the car is giving problems while starting cold. Had to crank it 15 times yesterday, 4 times today. If it hasn't sat for more than a couple of hours, it starts right up. So no problem starting when warm. Have never had this problem before.

However, for the last 6 months, I have had another problem as well (and still do!) - the car runs and idles rough when the engine is cold (first 5 minutes or so). When cold, it really hesitates, no power, no pickup. Has a "slingshot" response - suddenly it clears up and runs smooth. At that time, I hear a loud clik from the engine, driver side, bottom - can even feel the click in the accelerator pedal. This happens 5-10 times before it finally smoothens out. When it smoothens out for good, I can distinctly notice it - the car lunges forward. On hot engine, the car runs (and starts) ABSOLUTELY smooth - no problems at all. Fuel consumption is up 20%.

Have shown it to a dealer, and two MB techs in my area (Cleveland), but the exact same problem still remains - no change AT ALL. Have changed plugs, wires, distributor cap/rotor, injectors, air/fuel filters, thermostat, OVP relay has been changed twice. Nothing has worked, nobody seems to have understood what's going on, meanwhile I am stuck with an unrealiable car and a 2 grand bill!

PLEASE HELP! what should I do next? Are the two problems linked (cold starting and cold running)? In the previous threads, there were mentions of changing the coolant sensor, cold start valve, fuel pump, fuel pump relay, air flow sensor, EHA, etc. Obviously, not all could be malfunctioning - what should I ask the techs to do (in terms of diagnostic tests)? How can one zero in on this problem? What symptons can I notice as a layman, which can point me to the right direction?

Sorry for the long post, but I'm really at my wits end, totally frustrated, and would appreciate any comments you may have.

thanks a ton,