View Single Post
Old 01-28-2006, 04:26 PM
Banned

Well, thanks to the urging of Irg, I did my tumbler today.

Not a bad job, however, I could not get 12 guage or 14 guage solid copper wire to fit. Both were too large. I found a flat jewelers screwdriver with a .050" head and it did a fine job of wedging itself in there and releasing the cam.

Turning the collar was a bit of a PITA. I used some needle nosed vise grips with some tape on the jaws, but, it still was no fun.

I remain confused on how many threads engage on the collar. When removing the collar, I must have turned it 10 times (need to release cam on each go around). But, I sense that I was turning fruitlessly and the threads had already disengaged after four or five turns.

Going back in, I find that the collar turned 3 1/2 times and stopped. I had to back it off about 1/2 turn to return to proper alignment with the cam tooth.

I was on borrowed time with the old tumbler. When it came out, it separated into two sections. Thanks again, Irg, for the push. Otherwise............I'd be SOL.

Job takes about 1 hour with all the fiddling around.

So, a word to the wise............If you are fiddling with that keyswitch to get the key to turn.........better head over to the dealer.........pronto! Waiting any longer would have cost me a bunch of time and money.