View Single Post
Old 02-05-2006, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olpos
This may be a dumb question, but i can not find any info on putting a 500e motor into a 92 400e.Do they interchange or is there a small size differance? What about a 92 ish motor ? Is it differant in size?
Greetings olops,

Your question is not "dumb" at all! The engine should fit, and I believe at least one person on this forum has made the M119 5.0L transplant.

Having said that... the 400E with the stock differential (2.24) and stock valve body (first gear start) will likely have traction problems. I believe the person who performed the transplant referred to "no traction until 45mph" on the street

If your goal is simply to build a faster car, I recommend rebuilding your factory 4.2L (timing chain, valves, etc.) to factory specs (or "factory plus") and swapping in a 2.82 differential. Your top-end speed will be limited but you should be able to pace or edge out a stock 500E to 160 kph or thereabouts. Larger diameter wheels w/wider tires highly recommended.

Or prepare for a long period of searching for the ideal 500E/E500 http://www.500e.com/forums/ is highly recommended either route you take.

Best regards,
DangerMouse