View Single Post
Old 02-13-2006, 12:19 PM
LarryBible

Although Lincoln makes great engine powered welders and stick welders (The tombstones you see everywhere) they are definitely not noted for their MIG offerings.

Anyway to the auto dark question. Rich the way you describe your mask, I think that you have the type that is a domino shaped module that drops into the helmet opening. It has a TINY button on the front that you press to activate. If this is so, when you press on the front at the top of the lens, you will see it go dark for a few seconds and then go light again. If it is not doing that, it is not turning on.

For the button to work properly, you have to use a plastic lens on the front. A glass lens will not allow you to actuate that button. The plastic flexes enough to actuate the button. I have had one of those type for about five years, but recently got an adjustable, solar powered. With the solar powered one I don't have to worry, I just take it out of the bag, put it on and weld. I also don't have to remember to remove the batteries if it is not going to be used for awhile.

Also, Rich, if yours is the one that I think it is, be very careful if you set it down for a little while because there is a timer that will turn it off if not used for a certain amount of time. You can easily put it on and think that it will darken when in reality, it has timed out and is off. Always reach up and punch the button and see that it goes dark for a second or two to ensure that it is on. If it fails to darken, you probably won't get a burn unless you just weld with it for an extended period of time with it not darkened, but don't take the chance.

I have never been through a serious burn because I wear glasses. The glasses give enough UV protection that a very quick accidental flash will not cause a serious burn. Even sunglasses will prevent a serious burn from a quick accidental flash, but NEVER take chances. I have known people who had a serious flash burn and their description sounds like a few hours of "Hell on Earth."

Rich, please take your helmet and go to a welding shop or somewhere and get someone who is accustomed to welding to help you to KNOW that you have proper protection. I would expect that ANY weldor would be happy to help you with this because they understand the IMPORTANCE of proper eye protection. I'll bet if you find a welding shop you can just carry your helmet in there and someone will be happy to tell you if it is working properly or not.

If you ruin your eyes, you will never get another pair. If that were to happen we wouldn't have all your fun posts to argue over.

Take care,