View Single Post
Old 02-22-2006, 07:23 AM

1982 300SD Delivered Yesterday

Hello Again,

Previous owner nice enough to drive car to me approximately 30 miles so that I did not have to mess with Insurance and Licensing. Mercedes owners seem to be real nice. I had previously test driven it and it seemed good enough to buy. Plus I was fortuneate that it was close enough item on Ebay that I could do this. Ebay is a nice spot to buy stuff but you have to be careful as I'm sure you all know. I don't buy unless I look, drive.

It was funnie cause I waited for the car to arrive at our community gate, up on a private lake, a few neighbors stopped and we chatted. They asked me what I was doing and I told them if the car didn't make it here, I guess I didn't have to pay for it. lol

After 10 minutes, I saw it arrive with fellows Wife following in her new VW Jetta Diesel. I guess Diesels are addictive.

I'm generally happy with the car especially with all the support here. I'm sure I will be using it.

When the sun set I did a few checks. As I read here in Forum, I am going to need a new Rheostat for the Dash Lights however the Rheostat works only in Brightest Position. This must be some sort of good omen.

Fog lights not working. But I need to do some basics tests.

I parked in my garage and let it sit for a few hours. Pulled it back out after 5 hours and floor was dry. 2nd good Omen?

I guess the one thing I wanted to know was where can I get some nice touch up paint, "Bottle with Tiny Brush", to touch up a few areas and where might I find the paint code. It called a Gray color but sure looks Brown to me. Original Paint pretty obvious to me. Maybe I'm color blind.

Some of the paint is needing attention on the trunk lid at edge.

I wasn't real happy with the way it started up after sitting the 5 hours. It kind of ran rough for like a minute, but steadied out. Glow plugs replaced but maybe I got a few Duds. I'll check into this. This site is great!

When I got the car I wanted to put it on the road but I will fix the few odds and ends first, but I first have to find a Coat Hanger. lol

Oh yeah, I did pull the Trannie Stick and the Fluid looks and smells like new. it has a German Smell to it. Just kidding. I think I'll pass on the K1 spring and fluid change and concentrate on the Dash Rheostat that I am reading about here.

I think I'll stick with original as possible here, however the Mods looks nice.

Steve