View Single Post
Old 02-23-2006, 07:17 AM
Stella!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVOtoGO
They are good sport to shoot. And fill a freezer nicely if you have a good processor that can do lots of things with them.
The problem you’ll find, (like most of the folks around here have) is that you can’t shoot and eat them fast enough. Just when you think you have them under control or that they’ve moved on , you wake up and your back yard looks like a testing ground for Troy-Bilt, and your feeder is over on it’s side.
Hence the wide stance and wire on ours.
Have fun - But I havent heard of anyone winning the hog battle yet.
Absolutely...you can put a little pressure on them, they move off for a week or so, then one day you wake up and discover p-p-p-Porky and his p-p-p-pals have disked an a couple acres in your hay pasture...and it didn't need disking.

There are so damned many hogs here now, hunting is not even considered control and mass trapping barely makes a dent in the population. My neighbor to the south trapped 34 in one pen and had them back the next WEEK.

Smart and brazen too...on the way to farm last Friday night, we stopped for a bag of ice in Rockdale. when I got back in the car and flipped on the lights, they illuminated an empty lot next to the 'stop-n-rob' and I'll be damned if there weren't a couple of hogs rooting around in that lot, right there in the middle of Rockdale, directly across 79 from the Chevy dealer.