View Single Post
Old 02-28-2006, 02:39 AM
Renaissances Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar
There is an art to applying silicone sealant. With a little instruction and practice, very little cleanup is required, since you really only need to clean up what you have misapplied. I've used silicone sealant extensively when I used to design and build custom aquariums. It is the only thing that holds together and seals these large glass aquariums.

To apply the sealant, push rather than pull the applicator, forcing the nozzle itself to both shape and apply the sealant. In areas such as corners where that method isn't entirely adequate, shape it with a small spoon or your finger, but only after getting it wet first. Touching wet silicone sealant with a dry appliance or finger is likely to pull the sealant from its surface.

Make sure you cut the nozzle to a size appropriate for the job, and practice before doing the real job. You can also lay masking tape on either side of the crack to guard against excess sealant application. Oh, and if I didn't mention this before, practice first.
There is a real art to caulking, isn't there? I thought I was halfway good at it but turns out I was just half fast.

DOHH!! I forgot about the blue tape on either side of the joint trick. Jeez, they oughta just put me outta my misery...