View Single Post
Old 03-04-2006, 07:20 PM

Ok, I installed the shift kit today (at least some of it). The kit has a couple of options - you can choose to firm up the 2-3 and 3-4 shifts medium or even firmer depending upon which spring or set of springs you install. I chose the firmer for both. I didn't use any of the parts made to soften the 1-2 shift, since it was already reasonable and I knew I could soften it with the modulator adjustment if I needed to. Other springs were designed to prevent rapid shifts, but I didn't use those either since I didn't have that problem. I also chose to do the work with the valve body inside the transmission since I didn't need to access the B1 area. I was able to use an offset slotted screwdriver to open the end caps (4 screws each) to remove the old springs (the filter had to be removed to do it, but I was replacing it anyway). To use the firmest settings, you completely discard the three springs and the plastic rod and fit a single spring in its place - it's obviously stronger. It took maybe a half hour longer than just replacing the filter/fluid and the instructions were adequate.

As for performance, I'll explain the "before" symtpoms. The 2-3 shift could never be accomplished without backing down on the pedal - the slipping was horrible. The 3-4 was similar and could not shift without lifting throttle.

The 2-3 shift is now exaactly as firm as the 1-2 shift and the 3-4 shift is almost as good! At any throttle setting, the 2-3 shift is crisp. The 3-4 is a bit mushy, but that may be because of internal wear. At full throttle (right at 75 mph!), the 3-4 shift barely slips. At very slow speeds, it can't be felt. At medium throttle application, it just feels a little mushy - a vast improvement over no shift at all!

I spend an hour or so getting the fluid level right and adjusting the modulator to give firmer shifts since even the 1-2 was a little too smooth (for an MB) and because it helped the 3-4 .

I can't help thinking that MB sells a K2 kit like the K1 (the Superior installation instructions call the 3-4 shift springs the K2). If anyone has a parts catalog that can look that up, I might try ordering one to install in Strider.

For $50, I'm happy as a clam (the filters and gaskets were very cheap from them too).

Former cars:
1984 300D 445k (!!) (Strider) Original (and not rebuilt) engine and transmission. Currently running on V80 ( 80% vegetable oil, 20% petroleum products). Actually not, taking a WVO break.
1993 300d 2.5 275k. Current 120/day commuter
1981 300SD 188k (Hans) Killed by a deer