View Single Post
Old 03-07-2006, 05:18 PM
Vintage Moderator

I think you don't understand the importance of cleaning the oiler tube - oil is fed only from the rearmost cam tower. From there it is distributed the length of the tube all the way to the front lobes and cam tower - often these are the most worn if there's a blockage "downstream". The oil coming out of that last tower is more than enough to oil the whole system if (and only if) your tube is clear of obstructions. If there is 1 hole blocked, that spot - be it a bearing or a lobe - will get no oil. Sometimes the blockage can be like a clot and cause more stuff to build up behind it, eventually clogging the entire tube - usually it's caught before then, when you have one or two toasted lobes that make your engine sound like crap and run rough at idle. You may just need cams, your head may be fine - unfortunatley, with bad cams, you can't really perform a good leakdown test.

Last head I mailed, to CA, cost $37.38 in shipping. PM me with a decent offer for the head and, if you like, cams. I can email you pics of them. Tell me what cam series you have - the number is stamped on the back (either 52/53, or 56/57, probably)

Previous:
1972 280SE 4.5
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited "Hefe", 1992 Jeep Cherokee Laredo "Jeepy", 2006 Charger R/T "Hemi"
1999 Chrysler 300M - RIP @ 221k