View Single Post
Old 03-30-2006, 01:57 PM

Alternator Upgrade? (1985 300TD wagon)

Hi all--

I just switched out my sealed beam US headlights with (used, from ebay) Cibie HCR H4 lights, 60/55w bulbs. The lights are great, illuminate much better, etc., but I noticed last night that the alternator light on my dashboard was faintly illuminated, something I certainly hadn't noticed before switching the lights. It stayed illuminated even at high revs on the freeway, and I didn't notice any dimming or brightening of the lights with acceleration.

Am I going to need to upgrade the alternator just to run these lights? The only other electrical change I've made in my car is to replace the Becker radio with an Alpine head unit.

If an alternator upgrade is advisable, can anyone recommend an easy drop in replacement for the original alternator, and suggest a reasonable amperage (75A? 80A?).

Or, is it possible that my battery is just getting old?

Or, for that matter, could this be related to the bulbs I'm using, which are old Philips that came with the lights?

I've read through various related threads about bigger alternators but couldn't quite find an answer to this particular question.

TIA
Michael ('85 300TD wagon with insanely low original 42K mileage!)