View Single Post
Old 08-20-2001, 01:55 PM
Angry Replaced Axle Shafts w/ Rebuilts But The Noise Persists

I replaced both axle shafts (boots torn) on my car over the past week with rebuilt units. Yesterday, as I finished the job, I filled the diff. with Mobil1 synthetic gear lube and took it for a spin. Almost 1 mile down the road, I hear the dreaded clunking/rattling sound coming from the drivers side axle. When I take a long turn to the right, the noise goes away. The noise does not go away when I turn to the left. The noise is present when decelerating and coasting at any speed but not during acceleration. The drivers side axle was a bit difficult to install. I had to jack the differential up a lot before having enough clearance to force it in the splines. The right side did not take more than 5 minutes. There is a 1 year warranty on the axles, so I can always take it back for a replacement. I just hate to have to take it out again after all that effort. Could the rebuilt unit be suspect or is the rear wheel bearing the culprit? I have read that not all axles are rebuilt with the same quaility/workmanship. Maybe they gave me the wrong axle. It does have different boots than the right side axle but the length was the same as the old one. I am going to run the car as is for now. Maybe once the weather cools down, I'll replace the axle again. Any thoughts or advice?
2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Turbo Diesel - 4x4, auto, 3.54 gears, long bed
'92 300D 2.5 Turbodiesel - sold
'83 300D Turbodiesel - 4 speed manual/2.88 diff - sold
'87 300D Turbodiesel - sold
'82 300D Turbodiesel - sold