View Single Post
Old 08-20-2001, 02:55 PM

Angry Replaced Axle Shafts w/ Rebuilts But The Noise Persists

I replaced both axle shafts (boots torn) on my car over the past week with rebuilt units. Yesterday, as I finished the job, I filled the diff. with Mobil1 synthetic gear lube and took it for a spin. Almost 1 mile down the road, I hear the dreaded clunking/rattling sound coming from the drivers side axle. When I take a long turn to the right, the noise goes away. The noise does not go away when I turn to the left. The noise is present when decelerating and coasting at any speed but not during acceleration. The drivers side axle was a bit difficult to install. I had to jack the differential up a lot before having enough clearance to force it in the splines. The right side did not take more than 5 minutes. There is a 1 year warranty on the axles, so I can always take it back for a replacement. I just hate to have to take it out again after all that effort. Could the rebuilt unit be suspect or is the rear wheel bearing the culprit? I have read that not all axles are rebuilt with the same quaility/workmanship. Maybe they gave me the wrong axle. It does have different boots than the right side axle but the length was the same as the old one. I am going to run the car as is for now. Maybe once the weather cools down, I'll replace the axle again. Any thoughts or advice?
'83 300D Turbodiesel - 4 speed manual/2.88 diff - sold
'87 300D Turbodiesel - sold
'82 300D Turbodiesel - sold