View Single Post
Old 04-04-2006, 12:37 PM
General Purpose Geek

I think that before you select one of these cars, you identify a good shop first! And take care of them - let them make a few bucks on EASY stuff once in a while. Appearances and equipment are deceiving - I have my tires done at a place that looks like a dump with a bunch of mechanics that look like ex-cons. I know that they are good and careful from experience and from word-of-mouth around here. I trusted them with my rechromed rims, and I got them balanced and removed/mounted for $13 each, with a new valve stem. Not a mark on them, and they used adhesive/inside weights. The balance is perfect. Their tires are a little higher than some but you gotta make some money somehow. OTOH, a chain nearby did my wife's tire (the "dumpy" place didnt stock them and we really needed the car), and they have a super-duper balancer. They didn't put a cap on the valve stem, and I had to take the tire back for rebalancing (having a fancy computerized balancer doesn't do any good if you don't know how to use it, or just simply don't use it).
Daily Driver Project

http://juliepalooza.8m.com/sl/mercedes.htm