View Single Post
Old 04-05-2006, 09:58 PM
88Black560SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strife
Hmmm..the vacuum bag idea is interesting, veneer is put on this way also. I don't know if the dash is strong enough. But the two-sided tape thing is supposedly because the coefficient of expansion for the ABS(?) plastic of the cover, the (whatever) over the dash, and the metal underneath are all different. I've read that those who glue wind up with bad warping problems. I would try lots of very small pieces of two-sided tape before doing anything drastic. I've been thinking about putting a cover on my dash BEFORE it cracks!

I've seen one of these put on very well, I'm very picky, and it looked good to me. Especially $1000+ in my pocket good.

On the subject of actually buying a "new" dash, how old do you think the "new" dash is, and how long has it been sitting in a hot/cold warehouse?
I have nothing to loose. I could see warping occuring if the cover delaminated in local regions with glued on covers. But if I find the right brush on adhesive and vacume bag it well, I thing the foam padding under the original dash will do what the double sided tape does.

The new dashboard are available from Germany. If Germany is following US bussines practices (like "Just in Time", what what ends up where I work as "a little bit late") and gets taxed on there inventory like in the US, its most likely that the dashboards delivered today have not been on the shelf more than 6 months. Now if you find one thats been laying arround a dealer because they ordered the wrong color for someone, then I would sat it could be 15 years old. In any case I'm not worried about hot/cold as I am worried about extream greanhouse effect heat or UV, both of which wont happen in a box in a warehouse.

John Roncallo