View Single Post
Old 04-16-2006, 12:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyart27
I did a lot of reading and searching since the last post, and now I'm thinking I have air in the system. I had someone pumping the brakes while I was at the bleeder valve. I think we should have done the "push & hold" meathod instead of pump - pump - pump.

Think that was the problem?
You can do the pump - pump - pump method. But, you need to run a bleeder hose from the bleeder nipple into a small jar with some fluid. The hose must remain below the level of the fluid. I use a horseradish bottle. The system cannot draw any air back into the caliper because the hose and the bottle are a closed system.

Or, you can use the traditional method.......much slower. Open bleeder....... press down on the pedal........close the bleeder.........let up on the pedal........repeat.

If you used the pump - pump - pump method without hose into a bottle, and without closing the bleeder screw on the upstrokes, this would allow air into the system and is most likely your culprit.

BTW, when using the hose and small jar method, you must close the bleeder screw before removing the hose from the bleeder, or removing the hose from the jar. You must turn the hose and the screw.....together. Therefore, don't open the screw more than 1/2 turn when you do this procedure......that's all you need to bleed.